UPenn Stats Requirement

Started by kakurubird
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kakurubird

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The more I think about this, the more stupid this question seems, but just want to make sure...
And I figure it's quicker to first see if anyone here knows, before I go off emailing admissions staff and sound stupid while using my real name.

When Penn says they require a "Biostats or MathStats" course, by MathStats, they just mean a statistics course through a math department, right? And not actually mathematical statistics (as in, the upper level "but where do the formulas come from type" class)?

Right? I'm pretty sure I'm just over thinking this, but kind of just came to the realization that maybe I didn't have to take biostats because maybe they didn't actually mean what I think of as mathstats...

I'm not planning on applying for two years; this process shouldn't be making me crazy yet, right? (Please tell me this is (somewhat) normal craziness...!)
 
I figured that the general statistics course offered pretty much everywhere was what they intended, though it couldn't hurt to give them a call (and let us know what they tell you).

/also applying to Penn this year
 
Yeah, I took "Into to Statistics." It was tailored more towards social sciences than natural sciences, but it filled the requirement (even though it was actually through the econ department). I would imagine biostats would be more relevant/interesting, but they'll take pretty much anything with "statistics" in the title.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took a regular ol' Intro to Stats course at a CC to fulfill that pre-req.

I got in so must have been okay! You'll be fine 🙂
 
Haha. Thanks everyone. Once I actually wrote out the question, I figured that had to be the case, that just a normal stat class would be enough.
But, what else is SDN for if not to let out a little of the crazy involving applications!
 
That totally confused me when I applied too.
And yes, a regular statistics course is fine.
 
and the admissions advisor just replied "We prefer courses taken at a 4-yr college."


granted they didn't state they won't accept them........just that I guess they have an adversion to them

so that's another thing I guess people have to consider
 
I took "psych stats" and they didn't care. That covered basically all the stats needed for general research purposes.

The math stats I heard was a killer at my UG, and was all theoretical for the real math folk. Not anything that will ever be useful for vet school. If some school wanted to reject me for not having taken that, then I would have been glad not to have attended.