UPenn vs Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UPenn or Case (or Tufts)

• UPenn

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Case

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Tufts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • /

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

dent_m24

Reaction score
I was accepted by USC, Tufts, Case Western, and UPenn and I narrowed it down to two schools (Case and Penn). Please help me decide! Any opinions are appreciated!
I am an international student so both schools would be far from my family.
Cost is not a huge factor for me so please rate the two programs on the quality instead of price.

1. Case
Pros:
-The students seemed to be less stressed and the interview experiences with the faculties were great
-small class size
-great clinical exposure
-I can go to the same school with my boyfriend
-new building
-I like the city

Cons:
-weather
-I asked at least five students why they chose Case during presentation day and the only answers I got were "This was the only school I was accepted to" or "Family reasons"
-I read some posts that said bad things about Case eg. something like they recently changed their Dean and the program is not like before (I don't remember exactly)

2. UPenn
Pros:
-Prestigious (Ivy League)
-immense research opportunities
-specialty rate very high

Cons:
-Philly is not that safe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: just received $20,000 scholarship from Tufts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I rejected USC's offer but still have 15 days left to accept Tuft's offer. It is also welcomed if anyone has anything to say about Tufts.

I was accepted by USC, Tufts, Case Western, and UPenn and I narrowed it down to two schools (Case and Penn). Please help me decide! Any opinions are appreciated!
Cost is not a huge factor for me so please rate the two programs on the quality instead of price.

1. Case
Pros:
-The students seemed to be less stressed and had great interview experiences with the faculties
-small class size
-great clinical exposure
-new building
-I like the city

Cons:
-weather
-I asked at least five students why they chose Case during presentation day and the only answers I got were "This was the only school I was accepted to" or "Family reasons"
-I read some posts that said bad things about Case eg. something like they recently changed their Dean and the program is not like before (I don't remember exactly)

2. UPenn
Pros:

Cons:
-Philly is not that safe
cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t care about specializing, I’d go to case. If your relationship is strong, having that close to you will be nice when things get stressful. UPenn is a massive school and the addition of pass students your D3 year makes your class even bigger. I believe the costs are also more.

I also interviewed at Case last year, liked the facilities and liked the vibe of the school. Cleveland is also a really cool city. Lake effect isn’t too bad either.

1. Case
Pros:
-The students seemed to be less stressed and the interview experiences with the faculties were great
-small class size
-great clinical exposure
-new building
-I like the city

Cons:
-weather

2. UPenn
Pros:

Cons:
-Philly is not that safe
oh, missed this
pick CASE

If you don’t care about specializing, I’d go to case. If your relationship is strong, having that close to you will be nice when things get stressful. UPenn is a massive school and the addition of pass students your D3 year makes your class even bigger. I believe the costs are also more.

I also interviewed at Case last year, liked the facilities and liked the vibe of the school. Cleveland is also a really cool city. Lake effect isn’t too bad either.
Thanks for your advice!

oh, missed this
pick CASE
Thanks for your advice! I forgot to mention that my boyfriend can go to Johns Hopkins (which is about 2 hours drive from Philly) if I choose UPenn. Would you still recommend the same if that's the case?

Thanks for your advice! I forgot to mention that my boyfriend can go to Johns Hopkins (which is about 2 hours drive from Philly) if I choose UPenn. Would you still recommend the same if that's the case?
well, johns hopkins is prob better than case (i'm guessing med or grad school)
but you live together and support each other if you both go to case...

Have you visited both campuses? With the boyfriend? You say you "can go to school with your boyfriend" so is he there as a student? Will he be there as a student? I guess he's deciding???

If you have visited both campuses, what's your favorite restaurant in each city? Favorite place to buy groceries (noting you are an international student, presuming your boyfriend might be)? What do the other international students say about the support they get? In both cases, the research buildings are separate from the med school lecture halls and labs.

Have you visited both campuses? With the boyfriend? You say you "can go to school with your boyfriend" so is he there as a student? Will he be there as a student? I guess he's deciding???

If you have visited both campuses, what's your favorite restaurant in each city? Favorite place to buy groceries (noting you are an international student, presuming your boyfriend might be)? What do the other international students say about the support they get? In both cases, the research buildings are separate from the med school lecture halls and labs.
Thanks for considering these factors for me. My boyfriend is applying for grad school this semester and we visited both campuses together. Foods and fun places to go are not a big factor I would consider when deciding. For international supports, I am a Canadian citizen so I guess the support we get should not have a big difference. I guess the reason why I am so torn is because I cannot decide between Ivy League vs going to the same school as my boyfriend.

Do you want to marry this person or not? Your relationship will not survive split between Cleveland and Philly
It's more likely to be Philly and Maryland if I choose UPenn, which is doable but of course less desirable than going to the same school, but I don't know if that's enough to choose Case over Ivy League.