UPenn vs Northwestern (scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobeanie95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could receive your input on choosing between UPenn and Feinberg. My dream school has always been UPenn. However, I recently received a significant scholarship from Northwestern, which is making my decision more difficult. Any feedback is appreciated!

UPenn
Pros:
+closer to friends family (1.5 hours away)
+1.5 pre clinical curriculum, Step 1 after clerkships
+prestige
+extensive opportunities within UPenn (PennMed, Upenn undergrad/grad schools in the area)
+I felt the best "fit" on interview day
+I would like to match/practice in the Northeast

Cons
-COA (around 360k total)
-rumor has it that Penn students are very competitive?

Northwestern
Pros
+Chicago
+COA (around 115k total)
+Feinberg students seemed happy and laid back

Cons
-Far from friends and family, a plane ride away
-most people match in the Mid-West (could be application bias)
-lack of socioeconomic diversity in patient population
-Step 1 before clerkship

EDIT: My apologies, I meant to post this in Help Me Decide: X vs Y.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell Penn - they're usually pretty good about matching scholarships!

Reactions: 1 users
COA and distance from home are really the only things you have to consider.

Things like clerkship/Step 1 timeline aren’t really going to affect you in the long run. If you’re capable enough to get into either school, you can handle any med school curriculum.

I wouldn’t really consider prestige a factor. Even though UPenn is higher than NW, both are within the top 20 and many schools fluctuate in the range. Stanford wasn’t even top 10 a while ago and became #2 all of a sudden, and NYU went from #34 to top 15.

Not to mention the fact that the difference in prestige won’t be significant enough to be the reason for getting rejected from a specific residency program.

EDIT: Don’t worry about competitiveness too much. Being a middle student at UPenn is better than being a top student at Albany (especially when you rock Step 1).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Penn has (or at least they did when I was in med school) Pass/Fail clinical rotations, which is a HUGE advantage to students, so that's a major point for Penn.

However, I find it really really hard to encourage people to turn down a scholarship, particularly to a school as good as Northwestern. Also, Chicago > Philly.

COA and distance from home are really the only things you have to consider.

Things like clerkship/Step 1 timeline aren’t really going to affect you in the long run. If you’re capable enough to get into either school, you can handle any med school curriculum.

I wouldn’t really consider prestige a factor. Even though UPenn is higher than NW, both are within the top 20 and many schools fluctuate in the range. Stanford wasn’t even top 10 a while ago and became #2 all of a sudden, and NYU went from #34 to top 15.

Not to mention the fact that the difference in prestige won’t be significant enough to be the reason for getting rejected from a specific residency program.

EDIT: Don’t worry about competitiveness too much. Being a middle student at UPenn is better than being a top student at Albany (especially when you rock Step 1).

Right, the biggest thing holding me back from UPenn is the cost. Over a 200k difference is significant. I feel like I would be happier at Penn, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money

For a quarter million more debt, so more like 350k more by the time it is paid off, I don't think it's very easy to justify Penn. Northwestern is also a major research center with a fantastic match list every year. I think you'd probably be paying $350,000 to end up matching the same.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to the cheaper school. Don't subject yourself to copious amounts of debt if you don't have to, especially when the institutions are similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't the saying, "you can't put a price on happiness?" Is that just too much of a unicorns-and-rainbows way of thinking?

I mean, it clearly does have a price: over a quarter million dollars, and that's a generous interpretation based on fairly aggressive repayment.

Couldn't justify Penn with that sort of cost difference. Northwestern is a good, respected school and you will get little advantage from the Penn name.

Chicago really is better than Philly, too.