Upenn vs. Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leeolivesingh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

So I have definitively decided that FM is the specialty for me. I was wondering whether people have any opinions on either of the family medicine residency programs at Thomas Jefferson Univeristy or UPenn. I would like to stay in or very close to Philadelphia and want to go to a university-based program.

I tried searching this, however there isn't much on either, especially the TJU program.

Any opinions would greatly be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I had scheduled interviews at both programs, but did not go to Thomas Jefferson interview due to accepting a prematch elsewere, so I cannot speak on TJ.
As for UPenn, I interviewed there and LOVED IT! I kinda wish I had waited it out b/c I think they were going to offer me a prematch too, but I just didn't know...
I love the PD, loved the people and thought their training seemed really solid. Was really impressed with their community outreach programs and their reproductive health programs and training.

Also liked a program in NJ, I forget the name now, but I think it started with a V...a very easy drive from Philly.

Sorry, was confused. I was thinking of Virtua, but actually, didn't like that place so much. I liked Underwood-memorial in South Jersey, and it wouldn't be too far of a drive from Philly.

I talked to faculty at both at KC last year. Was impressed with both. You should apply to both and make your own decision based on your interview process, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to TJU and would have definitely stayed in their program if the west hadn't called me home so strongly! Apply and interview at both places, obviously, and make your decision, but...TJU's been around a lot longer, the university at large *really* respects the FM folks/program (in fact I always thought the FM residents were of higher caliber than the IM residents there), you work in the main hospital with all the other specialties. When off service (OB, surg, etc) FM residents are well integrated into the other teams. The outpatient center is very established with loooong time patients and faculty. Also, as of when I last looked a few years ago, much of the faculty at Penn has some kind of Jeff connection. TJU has a great center city location too :)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what both schools are looking for in a candidate?---in terms of GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, etc?
Please help! I'll have, when I apply to both schools, Overall Gpa of 3.7, and science GPA of 3.58, with MCAT if 34Q? I am interested in MD/PhD program, however, which is wayyyy harder that the med school?
Thanks!:confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what both schools are looking for in a candidate?---in terms of GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, etc?
Please help! I'll have, when I apply to both schools, Overall Gpa of 3.7, and science GPA of 3.58, with MCAT if 34Q? I am interested in MD/PhD program, however, which is wayyyy harder that the med school?
Thanks!:confused:

This thread is for fourth year medical students who are applying to either Penn or Jefferson for a family medicine residency. In other words, they are med students who will graduate in less than a year, and hoping to get a job at one of those two places. They are not hoping to attend either Jefferson or Penn for medical school.

You would be better off if you read the pre-allopathic and MD/PhD forums to get an answer to your questions.

I went to TJU and would have definitely stayed in their program if the west hadn't called me home so strongly! Apply and interview at both places, obviously, and make your decision, but...TJU's been around a lot longer, the university at large *really* respects the FM folks/program (in fact I always thought the FM residents were of higher caliber than the IM residents there), you work in the main hospital with all the other specialties. When off service (OB, surg, etc) FM residents are well integrated into the other teams. The outpatient center is very established with loooong time patients and faculty. Also, as of when I last looked a few years ago, much of the faculty at Penn has some kind of Jeff connection. TJU has a great center city location too :)
hello,

how are the work hours at Upenn, how is the program in general? Is it malignant? How are the residents and attendings? I am beginning to worry, as I hear more about the Upenn Surgery and OB programs, especially as Fam Med residents will have to rotate through those departments.

Bump! I'd appreciate any feedback on these 2 programs as well. I loved my interview at UPenn. The faculty seemed truly dedicated to the community and resident education and there appeared to be a lot of opportunities for residents to focus on their particular interests..lots of mentors. etc. I'm wondering how the FP residents are treated and integrated into the the medical and pediatric teams at HUP and CHOP? The system just seems so super large and specialized that I'm wondering how the FM department really fits in and is received by other departments. More info on the reality of call would be helpful too as the paperwork isn't clear on the specifics. Any insight appreciated.