Upenn vs UMD (instate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElectroLight_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some advice! I've been accepted into 8 dental schools but my top 2 picks are University of Maryland School of Dentistry(70K/year) and UPenn (120k/year). UPenn is way more expensive, but I'm pretty serious about specializing in oral surgery, and UPenn seems to have better resources for that. Which school do you think I should choose, considering the cost and my career goals? Any thoughts or experiences with either school would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I need some advice! I've been accepted into 8 dental schools but my top 2 picks are University of Maryland School of Dentistry(70K/year) and UPenn (120k/year). UPenn is way more expensive, but I'm pretty serious about specializing in oral surgery, and UPenn seems to have better resources for that. Which school do you think I should choose, considering the cost and my career goals? Any thoughts or experiences with either school would be greatly appreciated!
cheapest

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on getting accepted into 8 dental schools! That's extremely impressive!

$200k is a large sum of money. Out of the 8 schools you were accepted to, why did you choose Maryland in your top 2?

From what I understand, a decent amount of people from UPenn get accepted into OS; not sure how many from Maryland typically get accepted. I would do the program that has the highest chances of getting accepted into OS. The reason why is the dental program I will be attending had 5 people apply for OS this past cycle, and 0 were accepted. So if there is a program that would increase your likelihood of getting your dream career, I would do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting accepted into 8 dental schools! That's extremely impressive!

$200k is a large sum of money. Out of the 8 schools you were accepted to, why did you choose Maryland in your top 2?

From what I understand, a decent amount of people from UPenn get accepted into OS; not sure how many from Maryland typically get accepted. I would do the program that has the highest chances of getting accepted into OS. The reason why is the dental program I will be attending had 5 people apply for OS this past cycle, and 0 were accepted. So if there is a program that would increase your likelihood of getting your dream career, I would do it.
Thank you! I am from Maryland that's why I picked Maryland in my top 2.

Last edited:
More residents at my OMFS program are from Maryland than Penn. 200k would take YEARS to pay off. And if you're actually doing OMFS, you won't start paying it down until 6 years later than all of your classmates. Maryland has a very reputable OMFS home department.

Reactions: 1 users
More residents at my OMFS program are from Maryland than Penn. 200k would take YEARS to pay off. And if you're actually doing OMFS, you won't start paying it down until 6 years later than all of your classmates. Maryland has a very reputable OMFS home department.
but but but but "prestigious"...

• Care
Reactions: 1 user