UPenn wants US citizens to give TOEFFL!!!! Unbelievable!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Green Eyes83

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I just got in touch with UPenn and they told me that US citizens have to give TOEFFL as well! I'm so pissed off right now. What do WE have to give it? What's the use??? GRRRRRRR 😱Another exam to worry about now!!

Can anyone name any other dental colleges where TOEFFL is a mandatory requirement for citizens? Thanks!
 
Hi everyone,

I just got in touch with UPenn and they told me that US citizens have to give TOEFFL as well! I'm so pissed off right now. What do WE have to give it? What's the use??? GRRRRRRR 😱Another exam to worry about now!!

Can anyone name any other dental colleges where TOEFFL is a mandatory requirement for citizens? Thanks!

Not all US Citizens are born in the US and English is their second language, so obviously they would have to take TOEFL. Unless you're talking about international students that are born and raised in the US or Canada and go abroad to study dentistry, then yea that's a different story. Oh and all schools have TOEFL mandatory.
 
Not all US Citizens are born in the US and English is their second language, so obviously they would have to take TOEFL. Unless you're talking about international students that are born and raised in the US or Canada and go abroad to study dentistry, then yea that's a different story. Oh and all schools have TOEFL mandatory.

I had no idea! I got in touch with NYU and they said that they'll accept my high school transcript, but UPenn said that TOEFFL won't be waived off for me and that everyone must submit their scores via CAAPID. I don't know why I wasn't aware of this. I have never heard of this before. Didn't know that citizens are required to take TOEFFL. I know not all citizens are born here, but before you get your citizenship you have an interview with the immigration people and if your english is bad or if you can't answer basic history questions then your citizenship is denied, so it makes sense to assume that all citizens can speak english properly. Anyway, guess I'll have to take it now. I'm just mad that I wasn't aware of this and had to find out at the last minute.
 
I had no idea! I got in touch with NYU and they said that they'll accept my high school transcript, but UPenn said that TOEFFL won't be waived off for me and that everyone must submit their scores via CAAPID. I don't know why I wasn't aware of this. I have never heard of this before. Didn't know that citizens are required to take TOEFFL. I know not all citizens are born here, but before you get your citizenship you have an interview with the immigration people and if your english is bad or if you can't answer basic history questions then your citizenship is denied, so it makes sense to assume that all citizens can speak english properly. Anyway, guess I'll have to take it now. I'm just mad that I wasn't aware of this and had to find out at the last minute.

Well US citizens that are born in America or Canada still have to take their TOEFL and it's their first language so everyone else will have to take it for sure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greeen eye , i read ur comment all what i can say ur english is not that perfect, i mean its clear to say english is not ur first language, btw gettin naturalize and being a us citizen doesnt garant that the person knows the proper englis, only thoes who were born AND went to school here caught the proper english which most of the universities require !!!
 
Greeen eye , i read ur comment all what i can say ur english is not that perfect, i mean its clear to say english is not ur first language, btw gettin naturalize and being a us citizen doesnt garant that the person knows the proper englis, only thoes who were born AND went to school here caught the proper english which most of the universities require !!!

First of all, we're not talking about "perfect" english. We're talking about TOEFFL and how some colleges require TOEFFL scores from everyone and some don't (for ex, NYU). And FYI universities do NOT require proper english which is how people like u get in so don't try to judge me!!! I'm only bummed out because now I have to spend money and register for TOEFFL...not to mention spend time learning about the lay-out of the exam. TOEFFL is super-easy by the way and almost everyone passes and I'm not complaining about getting a good score. And by the way way I DID go to school here starting from elementary school but you wouldn't know that now would u?
 
First of all, we're not talking about "perfect" english. We're talking about TOEFFL and how some colleges require TOEFFL scores from everyone and some don't (for ex, NYU). And FYI universities do NOT require proper english which is how people like u get in so don't try to judge me!!! I'm only bummed out because now I have to spend money and register for TOEFFL...not to mention spend time learning about the lay-out of the exam. TOEFFL is super-easy by the way and almost everyone passes and I'm not complaining about getting a good score. And by the way way I DID go to school here starting from elementary school but you wouldn't know that now would u?

There's no pass score for TOEFL, whatever you score is your score. You should stop wining and get it done already... If you had your basic education in the US you won't have a problem do get a good score.

Where did you take the statement "universities do NOT require proper english" from?!?!

Good luck.
 
Tinman831,

Please don't hesitate to delete this thread if you feel that this is not helpful for others. I just noticed that you're a Senior Moderator which is why I'm asking. Thanks