UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ontarioprevet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I am applying to OVC, and am thinking I would like to apply to some other schools as well to keep my options open.
I am considering writing the GRE and maybe applying to UPenn.....but the only problem is that in my first year of undergrad, my grades were slightly lower (70s)....I now am getting high 80s to low-mid 90s in my courses (so my overall GPA is rising)...but the only problem is that the GPA of prereqs is about a mid-high 70 b/c of some of those low marks.
I have experience in small animal reg practice and emerg, working for a pathologist as a research assistant, working in a dog conditoning unit for the university (shelter type environment), working with a veterinarian in Africa on wildlife, dairy and equine experience.
OVC requires the MCAT (which I wrote last summer)...so I don't really want to take the GRE unless I have at least a chance of getting in to other schools.
I am definitely okay for OVC (have an 87 average in ther prereqs, and they look at the average for the last two semesters before you apply- which I will have a 87ish average for that as well)..it is more so UPenn that I am wondering about.
So basically I was just wondering whether a lower prereq GPA but lots of different types experience will potentially be enough to get me an interview?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one can really answer the question if your grades and experience can get you an interview at Penn. If you look at the thread of successful applicant stats http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=776924&highlight=official+stats you can do a word search for penn and see who was invited for an interview with the stats and experience they had.

I got in with a 3.4 GPA, low verbal GRE and high quantitative GRE. You really can't judge based on someones stats though. Everyone will have different experiences, eLORs and PS's.

good luck!

If you're curious about other schools you may want to look at getting the VMSAR book http://www.aavmc.org/Publications/VMSAR.aspx It is also on amazon for a cheaper price. It has information about all of the vet schools (requirements and stats)

Thank you!
I think I am going to apply and hope for the best! I am hoping to do well enough on the GRE that it will bump up my lowerish GPA a bit..or they will notice that my grades have significantly improved and at least give me a chance to interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you have the right attitude!

I also have weird stats (way above average in some areas, and way below in others) and am just throwing my application in the pool! No one is ever a shoo-in, and there's no harm in applying (besides the fees... $200...not including interview costs... *cringes*)

So I am applying to OVC, and am thinking I would like to apply to some other schools as well to keep my options open.
By "Keep my options open", I hope you mean "have a fallback option in case I don't get in to OVC" :)

Only a crazy person would pass up Canadian subsidized tuition costs to attend an international institution simply by choice..

I hope you don't actually mean to suggest that you'd consider attending UPenn if you got accepted into both OVC and UPenn :)

I get a little shaken when I see Canadians who might not be fully appreciating how lucky we are to have access to great schools at such low costs :laugh:

Especially where you are confident that OVC's admission process favours you more than an American one would,
if I were you I would apply to OVC twice before even considering an american U.

Please reassure me.. I would sleep better at night..

By "Keep my options open", I hope you mean "have a fallback option in case I don't get in to OVC" :)

I would apply to OVC twice before even considering an american U.

I agree with New Foundland. I would apply 3 or 4 times before shelling out the extra $182,000! Vet school is vet school. Does it matter which one? A smarter idea would be to try moving to PEI or Sask for a year and applying there. I think you might be able to apply to both OVC and the other in that situation.

OVC is definitely my first choice- don't get me wrong!
I completely agree that we should take advantage of the low cost of education here! I just want to have some backups!

And I can't apply to both- you can't claim to be a resident of two provinces and apply to both schools.

And this would also be my second time applying to OVC (got to interview stage this past admissions cycle)

And I can't apply to both- you can't claim to be a resident of two provinces and apply to both schools.

Are you sure about that? (Honest question!) Both WCVM and OVC just require you to live in that province for 12 consecutive months while not a student. I know a friend of mine had residency in NS for AVC application because she lived and worked here for a few years, and residency in ON for OVC because she graduated from high school there and lived there all her life prior to that.

If you got to interview stage this year, you should have a pretty good shot at it next year. Did you do a post-mortem with the school this year?

Keep in mind that you can only get interest-delayed loans up to about 14-15000. The rest would have to be a line of credit, which require payments while you're still in school. There may be a limit to how much you can take out, as well. I looked briefly at TD's page, and they only allow 80,000 over four years for vet students. I grant that other banks might be more generous.

This is what I have been told thus far...but if you have heard otherwise perhaps I should do some more in depth research.

OVC unfortunately doesn't offer individual application advice.
I figure I do have a decent chance for next year.

Just throwing it out there too that Penn is probably one of the more expensive vet schools in the US (at least it feels that way to me! haha ...:scared:)...I've heard of a few that are about the same, maybe a bit more expensive, but I've also heard of some that are cheaper even if you're out of state...not sure about international students.

I would do some research into what tuition and living expenses (!) are like in various parts of the USA. it can vary widely. Maybe you can find a few schools that are not as bad, financially speaking, as Penn.

oh what I wouldn't give for subsidized tuition. *sigh*

Are you sure about that? (Honest question!) Both WCVM and OVC just require you to live in that province for 12 consecutive months while not a student. I know a friend of mine had residency in NS for AVC application because she lived and worked here for a few years, and residency in ON for OVC because she graduated from high school there and lived there all her life prior to that.

Not sure about in Canada, but here, regardless of whether you actually could qualify for in-state tuition in two places, you can only apply with one state as your in-state/place of residence.

For example, I grew up and graduated from high school in Massachusetts, but have lived in NJ for 10+ years now. I had to choose whether to select MA or NJ residency. I couldn't choose both.

Also, Coquette...I just noticed your signature. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan :love:, and we actually just watched "Blink" last night! So funny!

Not sure about in Canada, but here, regardless of whether you actually could qualify for in-state tuition in two places, you can only apply with one state as your in-state/place of residence

Like I said, I don't really know, it's just a thought. I haven't seen anything on the OVC/AVC pages about only declaring residency in one area. We don't use anything like VMCAS to apply, each school has its own application, so we don't have to choose a residency. As long as you had documentation to prove your residency, I would think you'd be fine. But if ontarioprevet has been told otherwise by the schools, then disregard me. :)

It sucks they won't do post-mortems. My AVC one last year was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

Also, Coquette...I just noticed your signature. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan :love:, and we actually just watched "Blink" last night! So funny!

:love: