Upenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if we have anyone from UPenn here who wouldn't mind answering some questions ......

Members don't see this ad.

would anyone mind commenting on living around university city? and the work hours at UPENN? I now they are a workhorse program .... does that mean expect to work 80 hrs a week for next four years? hows their fellowship placement compared to UChicago?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've a few friends that go to the philly schools and this is what I've heard, take it with a grain of salt. I've heard Jefferson is the best program in terms of training, education and work/life balance, they've a great regional program per a friend who has done rotations around the city.
Upenn is a workhorse, I don't think they have any or not very good didactics, that being said they get the more complicated cases/transplants. Heard it would be a good idea to go there...for fellowships.
Drexel/Hahneman hospital is one of the most profitable hospitals in the country, their management corporation doesn't care at all about the academic/training side or Drexel U.
Temple, I don't know much about, I think they're the only one out of the 4 that actually sees trauma.

We have a lecture series (didactics) totaling 3 hours per week. We have monthly board review sessions and weekly board review with our program director, who writes the exam. Our Chair gives a monthly case report series on the first Friday of the month. Depending on what rotation you are on (Neuro, Cards, pain, etc) you will have additional lectures to attend. Your friend was right about the hours, which are between 65-70 per week, despite being wrong about the didactics. As far as work-horse programs go, Penn is a fantastic place to train, taking all aspects of residency into consideration. I would come here again in a second. One final note on didactics, they are a great supplement to studying on your own, but how many of us went to lectures in medical school if they weren't mandatory? Just a parting thought. Good luck in the match everyone. Choose the location where you will be happiest. My 2cents.

Thanks for clearing that up, sorry for the misinformation it was just what I heard. Having a resident who is enthusiastic about the program speaks volumes, thanks!

would anyone mind commenting on living around university city? and the work hours at UPENN? I now they are a workhorse program .... does that mean expect to work 80 hrs a week for next four years? hows their fellowship placement compared to UChicago?

Can't comment on Penn, but in the few years I was at UChicago, people went on to fellowships in all the major areas. Some that come to mind are Stanford, Northwestern, and Hopkins (Peds), UCSF and Columbia (ICU), Hopkins and UCSF (pain), MGH/Brigham, UCLA (CT). I'm less familiar with where people from the last couple classes have gone, but the PDs should know and be willing to share this. The whole point, in my opinion, is to figure out what you think you'll want in terms of fellowships, and then go to the programs that send people like you to the fellowships you think you'll want. Should be pretty easy, right?

Penn resident here. Penn is an incredible place to train. I really wouldn't call it a work horse program. We are pampered here. Infrequent call, post call days off, all weekends off except 1 a month , and paid overtime. That's right, 100 an hour after 530.

If you want to get out of OR at 230pm go somewhere else. You have your whole attending life to get out at 230 :) Working a few extra hours during residency will make you a rockstar anesthesiologist when you finish.

I am not a fan of didactics. The only reason the 230pm programs have a lot of didactics is because they have no cases for you to do. And that's how you learn.

Also penn is 100% resident run. 80 total residents and zero CRNA's. which means an incredible comradery and training because no competiton for cases and procedures. Also if programs you are looking at have CRNA's they likely have SRNA's and they will certainly steal your epidurals, central lines and cardiac cases.

Anyway that's my 2 cents :).

Also the residents are awesome people.

Penn resident here. Penn is an incredible place to train. I really wouldn't call it a work horse program. We are pampered here. Infrequent call, post call days off, all weekends off except 1 a month , and paid overtime. That's right, 100 an hour after 530.

If you want to get out of OR at 230pm go somewhere else. You have your whole attending life to get out at 230 :) Working a few extra hours during residency will make you a rockstar anesthesiologist when you finish.

I am not a fan of didactics. The only reason the 230pm programs have a lot of didactics is because they have no cases for you to do. And that's how you learn.

Also penn is 100% resident run. 80 total residents and zero CRNA's. which means an incredible comradery and training because no competiton for cases and procedures. Also if programs you are looking at have CRNA's they likely have SRNA's and they will certainly steal your epidurals, central lines and cardiac cases.

Anyway that's my 2 cents :).

Also the residents are awesome people.
Ouch. I think. Not quite sure.

so, how do you get relieved from the case for didactics if there's no CRNAs to break you out? attendings i doubt would do that.

im just curious, im in residency but that post sounded kinda awful.

so, how do you get relieved from the case for didactics if there's no CRNAs to break you out? attendings i doubt would do that.

im just curious, im in residency but that post sounded kinda awful.

I seem to remember from my interview that their OB didactics were in the mornings (can't remember about the others), and the poor post-call guy has to sit there and suffer through them half-asleep.

We have CRNAs that work the endoscopy suites at our outpatient surgery center. Between them, and the attendings, there is enough coverage to get us out in time for lecture. Not a perfect system, but it seems to work.

I went to penn and loved it. It is definitely the best place in the city to train. You see and do the most. Jefferson sucks-they are so second game in town and dont have nearly the complexity of cases that penn does especially in things like CT and transplant. you should go there if you want to be just like a crna and get out at 3. Residency is the time to LEARN people.