Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildWing

SDN Staff
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! We are pleased to welcome you to the updated version of the Student Doctor Network forums and website! Please let us know if you see any issues by logging them in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Typical example of "perfect is the enemy of good". Why not leave the old style available for those who don't like the new one? Small fonts, too many colors, where is my forum?

I can understand that the administrators are trying to attract the kindergartners younger generations, but it went from a nicely and smartly customized interface to the default POC I would expect from a small forum.

P.S.
I agree the Dark theme is much better. Also, one can increase the font size in Preferences. With those two fixed, all I am missing is seeing the members' statistics without having to click on the down arrow separately for each post. And I would like the avatars to be bigger. It took a bit of tinkering, but I can now live with this.

If one is a fan of light themes, try the Basic one. It seems better than the default.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 29 users
Is the older style not available any more? This one is nice but just a little too busy for me. I'm a man of simplicity!

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The old sdn styles are gone?

Also did the ability to search posts by who posted them or search posts in a specific thread get taken away too?

Reactions: 9 users
I find the new update absolutely horrific in style. I ditto all of the above.

--Not having a user's post count and like count available at a glance without clicking, also makes it pretty difficult for me to put users and their posts into context beyond whether or not they have a badge.

I could forgive the style, but that is a use issue with the posts/likes.

--Also, I don't like that the quote and reply buttons don't look like buttons anymore.

--Lastly, there keeps being a pop up that almost feels like spam, for the latest SDN article. I think it's great for SDN to advertise their articles, but it's a bit much that I feel like I have to dismiss the exact same notice so many times.

--The avatars are tiny and I hate it.

Reactions: 20 users
And have the save/delete draft buttons been deleted?
Also can only sometimes scroll to reach the “settings” and “alerts” buttons in the left menu on a mobile browser (safari). They keep getting hidden under the bottom bar of my browser.

A9F15A43-15B0-431C-9CB6-A8EEA7070F6F.jpeg

I'm not totally against the concept of reactions. I think having reactions beyond likes or sads or shock is maybe not the best idea.

The angry face I can see being a point of contention.

I don't like the break down on the reactions being just total number of reactions a user has. I could see how this could be misleading or abused.

Earning likes has actually been a motivator for me to try to post better content, and I think this could be true for others. Trying to avoid (or earn!) negative reactions I think could be problematic in terms of people not expressing some opinions that maybe do belong on the forum, or trying to get negative attention.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Draft button is still there for me on desktop browser.

Also can only sometimes scroll to reach the “settings” and “alerts” buttons in the left menu on a mobile browser (safari). They keep getting hidden under the bottom bar of my browser.

View attachment 256385

View attachment 256385
I didn't know that was a function.

Also it's messed up the way your pics look in your signature.

Also when you click on my avatar it comes up looking goofy.

Ugh, was there always a share button next to individual posts, going to social media? The ease of sharing on these platforms being built into SDN makes me uncomfortable in the extreme.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also it is more difficult to see if a message has been added to multiquote or not.

Reactions: 1 user
There should be a night mode available. Also on my phone so it's hard to see things.

Difficult to browse on mobile. Also the concept of reaction score should be clearly defined.

Reactions: 3 users
This forum style is not compatible with using the SDN site on a mobile phone browser. All the icons show up as empty boxes.

On desktop, hiding the status is quite odd? Why hide the fact the fact that a poster is a med student vs premed vs PA student? This is relevant information.

Could definitely do without the reactions...

Reactions: 4 users
Also why do the smilies cover the whole text box instead of just opening below it? Now you have to close the smilies to be able to continue typing or post.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but adding a rage and sad emoji to the like/reaction system I feel like is asking for the toxicity to multiply, at least in pre-alllo

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Not a fan of the update, I liked having "buttons" if that makes sense

Night mode is available, but certain things are really hard to see.

There should be a night mode available. Also on my phone so it's hard to see things.

Difficult to browse on mobile. Also the concept of reaction score should be clearly defined.

The new aesthetic is horrific. Can we at least have the option to make it look like the old ones?

Reactions: 9 users
1. Kudos to whoever/team that put the upgrade together, worked to get it working and then launched it. This was not a frivolous undertaking, I'm sure, so thank you for the time and effort it took.

2. I like the colors for the different subsections (dental, vet, etc.)

3. Agree with others about the angry face emoji for threads - think it could lead to bad joo joo, one that SDN has been trying for years to negate

Thanks again for all who put this together - tweaks are always part of a launch!

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but adding a rage and sad emoji to the like/reaction system I feel like is asking for the toxicity to multiply, at least in pre-alllo

I'm hoping if they're added for whatever reason, they should have zero impact on the reaction score. But adding them anyways is a bad idea as people will abuse them

Reactions: 1 users
Dear SDN and @Lee

The new looks fabulous. Nice, sleek, modern, easy on the eyes and colorful. Good job.

For those 2-3 users complaining o_O, they and their friends could simply unplug, create/maintain face to face relationships with people in their midst and kick the addiction habit.

I thank thee! The check is in the mail :bow:

Their concerns are important and should be considered to improve forum quality and user experience.

Reactions: 15 users
Issues so far:

I miss the blue theme - this one is way too busy and not nearly as easy on the eyes.

I had to clear my cookies to log in, it wouldn't let me despite a half dozen attempts.

I had to re-agree to every agreement just to switch to the dark theme - which still isn't as good as the blue one.

Reactions: 14 users
The old sdn styles are gone?

Also did the ability to search posts by who posted them or search posts in a specific thread get taken away too?

This is a major update to the underlying platform, so the old styles will not work anymore.

You can still search by who posted them and by specific thread. Select the drop down box to the right of the search box and you can access those options.

Issues so far:

I miss the blue theme - this one is way too busy and not nearly as easy on the eyes.

I had to clear my cookies to log in, it wouldn't let me despite a half dozen attempts.

I had to re-agree to every agreement just to switch to the dark theme - which still isn't as good as the blue one.
There's a delay in using reply to quote

Agreed that needing to agree to things again for template change seems unnecessary. Is it a one time thing?

Some comments:

I highly preferred the old style I had been using.
Not a fan of the reactions features like Facebook. Would prefer like (and maybe dislike) options only.
I miss the old way of showing post count/join date/like count without clicking additional buttons (easier to spot trolls, etc.).
I liked how the "original poster" text was included right on the avatar as a distinct banner. Now it is just a tiny circle picture, which is not as obvious while scrolling.
Every time I click the "sdn" banner on the top left on the desktop browser, it takes me back to the home page but shows I am not logged in (despite having checked "stay logged in"). I click log in and after a few clicks and seconds of loading, it states I am already logged in and reloads with my username on top.
I like how the post #s are shown but as they do not correlate with the link, it is pointless. The link should be the same as the # displayed in the thread. (ie: #post-20835108 is actually #24 on this thread).

Reactions: 5 users
This is a major update to the underlying platform, so the old styles will not work anymore.

You can still search by who posted them and by specific thread. Select the drop down box to the right of the search box and you can access those options.
There is no dropdown box on mobile browsers.

Reactions: 1 users
Other feedback:

With no icon, it's really hard to see which threads are unread and which aren't. The bolding (at least on the dark theme) is subtle enough I can't see it consistently.

The lack of a "watched forums" button really screws up how I browse the site. Yes, I can get there by hitting the little carot to the right of "watched", but it's annoying.

The "watched threads" view no longer defaults to unread threads only. This, combined with the prior problem, makes me more confused with figuring out whichthreads I want to look at.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I would really really like the old SDN style back. Please give us that option at least! Not liking this new style, it confuses me and doesn't seem as user-friendly as the other one :(

Reactions: 6 users