Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Forum categories are more condensed than pre-update? Hard to find a way to directly go to Forum List. You'd need to click on Community Discussion and then Forums :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Dark mode with some blue banners needs some tweaking.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Issues so far:

I miss the blue theme - this one is way too busy and not nearly as easy on the eyes.

I had to clear my cookies to log in, it wouldn't let me despite a half dozen attempts.

I had to re-agree to every agreement just to switch to the dark theme - which still isn't as good as the blue one.

This fixed logging in on chrome for me.

Dark mode with blue banners needs tweaking.
Posted this before but just refreshed and my post is not here? Had to re-upload image as well.

EDIT: I see now that initial post is still there after closing and opening SDN again. It seems that I was clicking "view more" after more posts were added to this thread. It was loading them on the same page and was not showing that there was a page 2 of thread nor my own earlier post. After relaunching SDN, I saw the page 2 and my original post.

This is petty, I know..but I do not like green. especially this shade of green. It sets my teeth on edge. Please, please please can you just add a style with the blue? Just the way it is now, but with blue instead of this olive green?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Items:

Linking an image URL takes several steps in this skin compared to the prior setup. It's cumbersome. Linking a video takes even more.

I set the page width to wide and it works, so I have the full site on the page, but when I go somewhere else it does not stay persistent. That should be fixed too.

Was the ignore thread option removed? This was very useful for ignoring schools I didn’t apply to the school specific subsection

Dark theme is far better for me and i suggest using it. Also suggest converting light theme to classic blue theme
I cannot switch themes without filling out/agreeing to a bunch of stuff that have popped up as "required" in my profile preferences since my last change.

To be honest, the new style/software feels faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
undecided as of yet on the new forum.

Please consider putting back the 10+ member year badge to be visible to all.. This helps distinguish storied members of this forum from the trolls.

How to get a physician badge? I am a current liscensed medical doctor. How do I get the physician badge next to my 10+ year member badge?

Thank you.

Viewing attached images is a problem. It opens up and freezes
If you're viewing on a mobile browser you have to tap it and then an X will pop up in the top right corner. Not sure how feasible it is but it seems like it would be intuitive to swipe down to dismiss the photo and I'd like to see that.

Unrelated: While I was typing this, the notification that more messages had been posted popped up and it's way bulkier than the old style and bumped what I was typing down far enough to go off my screen. Previously it would still bump me down, but only by a line or two. QOL thing.

This is petty, I know..but I do not like green. especially this shade of green. It sets my teeth on edge. Please, please please can you just add a style with the blue? Just the way it is now, but with blue instead of this olive green?
Or like.... make all the old themes work with the new platform....

I agree with the comments about bringing back the old themes or mimicking them in some way (I loved the 2017 ones, myself!) but also wanted to say thank you for adding the like button functionality to PMs! :biglove:

Reactions: 7 users
I agree with the comments about bringing back the old themes or mimicking them in some way (I loved the 2017 ones, myself!) but also wanted to say thank you for adding the like button functionality to PMs! :biglove:
Love blue 2017.

ALSO, do PM likes count towards your total score??? :thinking:

Also, when I am typing my posts, sometimes the editor freaks out and starts changing sizes repeatedly and rapidly and it looks something like this.

Some comments:

I highly preferred the old style I had been using.
Not a fan of the reactions features like Facebook. Would prefer like (and maybe dislike) options only.
I miss the old way of showing post count/join date/like count without clicking additional buttons (easier to spot trolls, etc.).
I liked how the "original poster" text was included right on the avatar as a distinct banner. Now it is just a tiny circle picture, which is not as obvious while scrolling.
Every time I click the "sdn" banner on the top left on the desktop browser, it takes me back to the home page but shows I am not logged in (despite having checked "stay logged in"). I click log in and after a few clicks and seconds of loading, it states I am already logged in and reloads with my username on top.
I like how the post #s are shown but as they do not correlate with the link, it is pointless. The link should be the same as the # displayed in the thread. (ie: #post-20835108 is actually #24 on this thread).
in the vein of this, I also don't like how it no longer shows the info like location

Is this an April Fools joke.

Also when looking at someone's "status" I think there need to be more characters. For example it just says "Medical Stu..." which just looks weird to me. But I admit I'm just bitter because I miss old blue.

Hey I just want to let you know that after the upgrade I can no longer log in via Facebook (that's where I usually log in from), I had to make a new account to post this lol

It shows something like this:

Hey I just want to let you know that after the upgrade I can no longer log in via Facebook (that's where I usually log in from), I had to make a new account to post this lol
Actually yeah, that reminded me. I can no longer log in via Google.

Gives an error that says:

The redirect URI in the request, https://forums.studentdoctor.net/connected_account.php, does not match the ones authorized for the OAuth client. To update the authorized redirect URIs, visit: Google Cloud Platform

(Still hating the lack of blue)

oooooooooh I didn't see that, that's sweet!

ugh the share function down at the bottom, to share all over the interwebs

If I wanted what I posted on SDN to potentially go viral on social media, I would post on social media. I think a lot of us come here to interact about our careers while also trying to cling to at least the illusion of anonymity

Personally I liked the old SDN style. This feels confusing and not user friendly.

I do appreciate that you guys thought to make it look cleaner.

wow is it my imagination or are some of our complaints in here already being solved in real time? It looks like the how long you've been a member badges have been added just now

Reactions: 3 users
Able to login on my mobile devices, but it just reloads the login screen every time I try on my laptop.

Able to login on my mobile devices, but it just reloads the login screen every time I try on my laptop.
Legit the same thing happened to me on a pc i logged in but it would just reload back to the login but when i clicked on the sdn logo my username appeared on the top right corner. No idea whats happening with the new update. I had to create this post on my phone bc i cant even comment on forums on my pc.

i would also like to see the older themes as an option

Reactions: 5 users
If you're viewing on a mobile browser you have to tap it and then an X will pop up in the top right corner. Not sure how feasible it is but it seems like it would be intuitive to swipe down to dismiss the photo and I'd like to see that.

Unrelated: While I was typing this, the notification that more messages had been posted popped up and it's way bulkier than the old style and bumped what I was typing down far enough to go off my screen. Previously it would still bump me down, but only by a line or two. QOL thing.

Yeah i'd rather not have to click the attached image to view it like it was pre-update. It freezes the screen even with the x shown.

I would really love the option to go back to the old layout. This is moving towards looking like reddit.
Oh plus, I couldn't login using facebook. I had to figure out what my email was and get a new password. But that doesn't matter, this layout is terrible and many people complained and wanted the original layout couple months ago when it was announced that there would be an update. Yet it was still updated lol with no option to stick to simplicity instead of aesthetics.

Also it would help immensely to improve the forum navigation directory on top of the forum such that i can easily go to Main Forum List without having to click back to individual forums

I've noticed that typing seems slower on this new platform. Granted, I've only used it thus far on my mobile browser. But it's most noticeable when I'm trying to delete large sections of text. It feels like there's a delay when I'm typing fast or holding backspace, which causes me to slow down to double check myself.

On the topic of typing though, I've noticed that I can now highlight text in my mobile browser without the selector thingy jumping to the end of the paragraph, which was a huge pain for me on the old platform, so thank you for that.

Bug: When I click on unread threads from the Watched Threads page, it doesn't take me to the first unread post. It only goes to the post roughly 3-5 posts above the unread posts. I don't have this issue clicking on alerts.