UPitt maximum living allowance=$21K (2014-15 student budget costs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sissi Romy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's what Pitt has for Dental Student budget, $21K of which shows as "Maximum Living Allowance":
http://dental.pitt.edu/2014-15-student-budgets

I am just wondering if one can save more on this number and borrow less? I am OOS. I want to minimize the first year DS loan because it has the longest time to accrue interest. Is it possible to live on much less in Pittsburgh? I assume I will be spending most of my time in class, library, etc. and only just sleeping time at my apartment so I don't mind small quarters and would rather not pay for spacious "my own space" place that will sit empty most of the time and for which I will have to pay horrendous utilities (Pitt seems to get a lot of snow in winter). I do want to live near the school (within walking distance) and in a safe neigborhood. So would $12K-15K be reasonable to assume?
Appreciate all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Will you be bringing a car? Paying car insurance? Cell phone bill? How much you'll need to live on is pretty variable, but $21k/year seems very high, I'd expect you can shave a chunk of that off. Getting a room mate will obviously minimize costs, as well as simple things like packing a lunch every day and making big meals on the weekends to eat leftovers midweek.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I will have a car and paying car insurance and cell phone bill. I would like to live with other DS students. I also found that the Health Insurance allocation in the budget is quite high ($4000), I am just wondering what minimum coverage they require, because I am pretty sure we can buy health insurance with a high deductible for cheaper than $4K for a healthy young person. Any current Pitt DS care to chime in?

Have you looked into applying for the affordable care act insurance? My school charged me $2200 for a years worth of health insurance when I could have gotten it for free from obamacare...definitely learned my lesson for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
yes, I will have a car and paying car insurance and cell phone bill. I would like to live with other DS students. I also found that the Health Insurance allocation in the budget is quite high ($4000), I am just wondering what minimum coverage they require, because I am pretty sure we can buy health insurance with a high deductible for cheaper than $4K for a healthy young person. Any current Pitt DS care to chime in?
You just need any health insurance, that number is a quote for UPMC insurance offered through the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Find an older couple/person with a large house that rents rooms. That's what I am doing at least for the first year. It is on the bus line, but also just a 15 minute drive. Costing me $375/month. This includes all utilities, laundry facilities, wifi and cable.

Reactions: 1 user