Upload CV in ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicamedica

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
today my advisor told me to make sure to upload my CV into ERAS. But i can't find any place on ERAS where i'd be able to upload a CV, and it seems that the filling out of the CAF is constructing a CV in and of itself. He admitted that he has never filled out ERAS himself, b/c it wasn't around when he was applying. But i just want to make sure that i'm not just not seeing how to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

chicamedica said:
today my advisor told me to make sure to upload my CV into ERAS. But i can't find any place on ERAS where i'd be able to upload a CV, and it seems that the filling out of the CAF is constructing a CV in and of itself. He admitted that he has never filled out ERAS himself, b/c it wasn't around when he was applying. But i just want to make sure that i'm not just not seeing how to do it.
CAF and CV are synonymous for ERAS purposes. Your CAF, when printed out by residency directors, will be more or less in CV format anyway. So get your CAF done and submit that in early September.

Like Andy said...

There's not a place to "upload" your CV. You just enter the info from your CV into the CAF, which is what programs will download as your "CV." Of course you should probably take your paper CV with you to interviews just in case someone asks for it. I was never asked, but I've heard that some people do get asked.

Quick question regarding this sorta...

On a typical CV, a SHORT explanation is often given for each experience... like a few sentences at MOST. However, ERAS gives us like a million characters to type out to describe each experience. How much explanation should we give for each of our experiences, hobbies & interests, etc??

I just figured if they're going to print our CAF and use it kinda like a CV, then they don't want huge written descriptions for each experience... but I guess the length they allow us confuses me.

Any tips on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

mr.annoying said:
Quick question regarding this sorta...

On a typical CV, a SHORT explanation is often given for each experience... like a few sentences at MOST. However, ERAS gives us like a million characters to type out to describe each experience. How much explanation should we give for each of our experiences, hobbies & interests, etc??

I just figured if they're going to print our CAF and use it kinda like a CV, then they don't want huge written descriptions for each experience... but I guess the length they allow us confuses me.

Any tips on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Really? it's only like 1000 characters for descriptions and 500 for like lists of hobbies. Doesn't come out to much. . .You obviously don't have to fill it all up. . .I think they just want whatever description to not be like 1/2 a page or something. If you notice, the boxes do not have the red star on them, so it's not even required.

You could just type up a regular CV with brief descriptions as you would for a paper CV. Then just use thase descriptions for your CAF. That would force you to keep it short and sweet (so the reader may consider reading it).