Upper Division Science Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GT500

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will my application be more competitive to pharmacy school if I take more upper science division classes or will this not really improve my chances at all. Please given an honest answer. I will be getting my degree in Bio-Chem but many of the upper-level science courses are not required. I will be a senior next year and I have already taken 2 semester of P. Chem, genetics, immunology, and molecular biology. I received an A in all classes except for genetics (B+). Next year I will be taking microbiology, biochemistry, advanced physiology, and cell biology. Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Will my application be more competitive to pharmacy school if I take more upper science division classes or will this not really improve my chances at all. Please given an honest answer. I will be getting my degree in Bio-Chem but many of the upper-level science courses are not required. I will be a senior next year and I have already taken 2 semester of P. Chem, genetics, immunology, and molecular biology. I received an A in all classes except for genetics (B+). Next year I will be taking microbiology, biochemistry, advanced physiology, and cell biology. Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Upper level science courses demonstrate your ability to handle pharmacy school-level curriculum. If you are on tract to get your BS - I wouldn't deviate from it unnecessarily - Take difficult courses if they lay directly in your path... else I would avoid them.

Since you have already taken P.Chem (its hard to get much more upper level difficult than that) and you plan on taking microbio / bio chem - I would say you are good with that.

Advanced physiology may help, but it is up to you.

If it were me, I would take my requisite courses - and then take any extra time I had into preparing my application (volunteering, ECs, essays / application prep) and drinking with friends. Both are equally important uses of your time.

~above~

I probably should go volunteer at a hospital since I do not have any volunteer experience. I can not seem to find a pharm tech job in the summer and its probably because all the interns have flooded the stores. It looks like volunteering will help my apps somewhat. Unless Midwestern adds more requisite courses for 09, I completed all the courses in spring of this year (3 classes for 9 credits).