upper divison biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teatime

UC Davis c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to take Iowa state's online biochem course, which is a two-parter, and the instructor has basically allowed me to register, but he assumes that I've taken both semesters of o-chem. I'm currently taking o-chem 1, and since I'm assuming the first part is only offered in the summer, if I don't take it now I won't be able to finish the series before I apply in 2010. Do you think it's okay if I just let him assume that I've taken the whole year? Will I be seriously disadvantaged when it comes to the course material?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends in your instructor. If he focuses a lot on mechanisms, then you may have a hard time.

If he focuses on processes and regulation (know/understand glycolysis, kreb's cycle, etc), then you will probably rarely need anything that would be taught in organic 2. good luck.

Im currently taking the first part at ISU; I have finished both Ochems and taken an introduction to biochem course and Im struggling to get an B in the class. I got A's in Ochem and a B+ in Intro. The course is very demanding and requires alot of self-instruction. There is no group class discussion or topic responses like Ive had in other online courses. The prof does provide study guides but with 6 chapters per test, the amt of info to cover is massive. The online PP lectures are difficult to follow at best. Ochem info comes into play when you must understand residue interactions and chemical bond angles and formations. Im definatley glad Ive had Ochem before. Not to say you cant do it...just wanted to understand what your getting yourself into. Im spending about 12-15 hrs a week studying (thats all I can fit in with my FT job). If that is the only class your taking during the summer then you may be okay. Did you say you'd be taking the second part of Ochem concurrently? O and as far as I know ISU offers both modules every semester.

I'm taking biochem that has Orgo I and II as pre-reqs, but I am also in Orgo II right now. To be honest I think you only need Orgo I for that class. Most reactions I've seen so far are very basic. The few reactions, like dehydration and condensations, are found in Orgo II, but they can easily be learned just by looking at the mechanism in your biochem textbook. Besides, if you're lucky, your professor will not ask you to draw those mechanisms!:D I tend to see these types of reactions in biochem before I see them in Orgo, and that makes Orgo easier ;). So if anything, biochem will help with Orgo. You certainly will be able to understand the material just fine!:)