Upper-Level Bio Classes not listed under "recommended" courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireandIce128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically for next semester, I'm deciding between two upper-level Bio classes, Genetics or Plagues: Past, Present and Future.
I'll also be taking another (online) Bio class called Nutrition Science.
What do you guys think? Because these classes are typically not listed under recommended courses for dental schools and are probably unheard of by many dental students (excluding genetics of course).

I could also switch out of the online Bio elective and take Genetics and Plagues, but I know taking those two together along with other classes will be very tough (especially Genetics) and I kind of want to safeguard my GPA since it's my last semester. Also, Plagues is a recommended course for my Public Health minor and I'm actually more interested in it. Kind of like how last semester I took a bio class called Biology of Cancer (another one not typically seen in recommended courses) because I wanted to learn more about cancer and I hold a leadership role in the colleges against cancer club. Moreover, the online nutrition class is convenient for me in terms of getting more hours for my job and dental shadowing.

What do you guys think? I mean I've taken bio courses such as Microbio, Biochem, and Advanced Human Physiology, all of which are listed under "recommend courses." I would like to hear thoughts and opinions from you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You must think dss are oblivious to the importance of nutrition on dental health.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would take genetics. It was even on the DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Plaques like the ones they hang on the walls? or dental plaques?

All kidding aside, i think the most interaction I had with genetics is during pathology classes but they were never a big emphasis. In terms of the plaque class, it should be for your interest only. Because you definitely will learn about dental plaque in dental school, no need to rush to it.

Also, biology of cancer can be interesting. I regret not taking that class in undergrad because the section of pathology classes that I dread the most are cancers, because you'd have to identify the disease, whether it's malignant or benign, grading, histological features, etc.

Take gross anatomy if you can! It shows up in your D1 year and also on your NDBE part 1, so it's very useful!

I can't tell you how much of the bio section on my DAT was genetics. SO much genetics lol. But I was glad. Therefore, I would highly suggest taking that. I understand not all versions of the exam are the same. But I would presume more questions on the biological sciences would include genetics, compared to nutrition. I've never had a practice question or DAT question regarding nutrition. Not in any way undermining the importance of that subject.

Thanks for all the input guys!
My bad, I misspelled. I meant to say "Plagues." It is a class that pertains to my Public Health minor. (Also, I'm the president of the Global Health club in my school and taking that class would definitely be a benefit).

Moreover, I have already taken the DAT. As for the genetics class, I would like to take it, but taking Genetics and Plagues together may seem quite tough given that they are both taught by the same professor, who's exams aren't exactly quite easy. Genetics is the harder class, which is why I wanted to drop it and take plagues instead (a class I'm actually interested in along with nutrition science). The thing is, I don't know if it's a good idea to do away with a class like genetics when it comes to applying for dental school.

Thanks for all the input guys!
My bad, I misspelled. I meant to say "Plagues." It is a class that pertains to my Public Health minor. (Also, I'm the president of the Global Health club in my school and taking that class would definitely be a benefit).

Moreover, I have already taken the DAT. As for the genetics class, I would like to take it, but taking Genetics and Plagues together may seem quite tough given that they are both taught by the same professor, who's exams aren't exactly quite easy. Genetics is the harder class, which is why I wanted to drop it and take plagues instead (a class I'm actually interested in along with nutrition science). The thing is, I don't know if it's a good idea to do away with a class like genetics when it comes to applying for dental school.
Take plagues then (if you took the DAT already). I haven't seen a school that requires genetics. I'll confirm that in sec.

Edit: confirmed. The only thing I saw is that most schools require 2+ more biology courses after the 1 year of biology requirement. So, plagues would help meet that req just as well as gen.

Edit 2: some schools are more specific and require anatomy, cell bio (can be micro), physiology... (like my school).
And when schools strongly recommend a course is always histology, neuroscience, immunology... never seen genetics in recommended courses

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user