Upper Level Bio Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supawolo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering...after my sophomore year, I'm gonna be finished with both semesters of Molec Cell Bio and I have enough space in my schedule to take 2 more advanced biology courses. My question is which one of these will prove to be most profitable to take before MCAT.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Math major, so I don't know a lot about upper level bio courses, but I can say that you don't really need to know any of them! I only took 1st year biology, and got a 12 in the BS section. Take whatever you find interesting. All of the biology material covered will be material studied in 1st year.

Hey supawolo,

The upper level bio class that helped me the most was human physiology. If you can take it then I highly recommend doing so cause there is a buttload of physio on the big M and I'm glad I took it before. Hope this helps and good luck. Ciao.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest genetics - I took that AFTER the MCAT and the first day the prof discussed stuff I remembered from the test! DOH! Anyway - there's plenty of genetics on the MCAT.

I would have to agree with those above; Human Phys, Genetics, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Microbiology are all good classes for additional MCAT prep. I wish I would have taken at least one of these before the exam.
In my opinion, one year of Bio is not enough foundation for the biological component of the MCAT. Yeah, you might be able to squeeze a reasonable score with only bio, but taking additional courses will improve it that much more.

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but I still respectfully disagree. If you're looking at taking a senior bio course just for the purposes of studying for the MCAT, then I think your time could be better spent elsewhere. And if you're planning to take a senior bio course anyway, I would think there are more important things to think about than the MCAT.

But, I'm just a lowly math major... :D

Sorry if it is not appropriate, but one year of bio requirement -- does it necessarily mean Gen. Biology I, and II?

If I take Gen. Bio I (w/labs), and Hum. Anatomy Physiology, will that satisfy 'one year bio' requirement?

One more question. If I take classes that are not part of the pre-med pre-req. courses, for example, cell biology, at a community college..would that be a negative thing?

Thanks all.

S.
[email protected]
[email protected]

As far as I know you need to take general bio I and II as requirements and can't substitute another class.

thanks guys...btw, im not squeezing in any upper level bio classes just for the puropse of studying for the MCAT. im a neuroscience major so i have to take several upper level bio electives and was wondering which would prove to be most beneficial. im interested in all of them, just have to decide which ones are the best at the moment.

For those of you who suggested genetics - just wondering what bent? I just completed Molecular Genetics, but haven't taken the course called Heredity (focuses on Mendelian genetics). Which one is more helpful for the MCAT?