Upper level bio & GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejparkk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I hope you're all doing well :) I just had a couple questions in regards to taking some courses that might look well on the transcript.

I'm a recent graduate who is trying to apply for the upcoming cycle in June. I majored in Bioengineering, so I had a lot of overlap with the courses for prereqs needed for dental school applications. I did have couple bumps because I received 2 C+'s in Orgo I and Cell Bio (it was just a bad semester in terms of grades because I didn't plan out my courses too well). I was hoping to take some upper level biology classes and ace them so that I can somewhat make up for the grades I received then. Do you guys have any recommendations in terms of what classes I can take and what can look good?

Also! Because my major did involve a lot of biology, I was wondering if some of my bioengineering courses would look good or count toward the upper level biology course (ex: Qualitative Physiology). I'm not sure if that made too much sense, but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to add in that I will be taking a class at my state university as a non-degree undergrad. Would it make sense for me to be a non-degree undergrad student? Or should I have applied for the non-degree grad program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

I hope you're all doing well :) I just had a couple questions in regards to taking some courses that might look well on the transcript.

I'm a recent graduate who is trying to apply for the upcoming cycle in June. I majored in Bioengineering, so I had a lot of overlap with the courses for prereqs needed for dental school applications. I did have couple bumps because I received 2 C+'s in Orgo I and Cell Bio (it was just a bad semester in terms of grades because I didn't plan out my courses too well). I was hoping to take some upper level biology classes and ace them so that I can somewhat make up for the grades I received then. Do you guys have any recommendations in terms of what classes I can take and what can look good?

Also! Because my major did involve a lot of biology, I was wondering if some of my bioengineering courses would look good or count toward the upper level biology course (ex: Qualitative Physiology). I'm not sure if that made too much sense, but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to add in that I will be taking a class at my state university as a non-degree undergrad. Would it make sense for me to be a non-degree undergrad student? Or should I have applied for the non-degree grad program?

I think any upper level bio classes will suffice. personally, I would take immunology, neurobiology, A&P (since its a pre-req at some schools), endocrinology, pharmacology, biochem, developmental bio. but thats because that is what interests me.

Any classes with a bio or chem or physics prefix should count towards your science gpa. I think math too but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not sure if the bioengineering courses would count, maybe someone else can answer that.

what is your GPA?

Bioengineering should count in the science GPA. I was biomedical engineering and had all my BME classes count.

I was also a non-degree seeking undergrad for a while, and I think that's fine. I wouldn't worry too much about the undergrad vs. grad designation. I think it all looks pretty much the same to them, so just take the upper-level classes like you planned. I would take anatomy and physiology as well as biochemistry and microbiology since they are common pre-reqs. Look into histology and some of the courses mentioned above if you have the time to take them.

Good luck!