upper level courses/a must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, because of my crazy major if schools really look down on your apps if you have only 2 upper level science classes...lets say anatomy, microbio or biochem asside from your regular pre-reqs?

Thanks in advance:D

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering, because of my crazy major if schools really look down on your apps if you have only 2 upper level science classes...lets say anatomy, microbio or biochem asside from your regular pre-reqs?

Thanks in advance :D

I don't think it's really a problem at all, as long as you satisfy all the prereq's for the medical schools you are applying to and have a created a good GPA for yourself. Taking additional upper-level science classes is like icing on the cake. If it pleases you, and you are able to, take some upper level science courses. Do well, of course. That is all. :D

FWIW, if you can only fit in a couple of classes, I'd probably go with Genetics and Biochemistry. It seems some schools have these classes as additional requirements. However, you'll want to check the websites of the schools in which you intend to apply and look at how many credits of each science discipline they may require and what specific classes other than the general prerequisites they may want you to have. It may differ from school to school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance:D

I'm a first-year at DMU. As far as I know, it doesn't matter a whole lot what your major is as far as application goes. As long as you have the pre-reqs and you're able to do alright on the MCAT, the undergrad major isn't a big factor. However, if you have the opportunity to take some extra science classes, you should just to be more prepared for med school. Good luck.

thank you guys...
I was just freaking out b/c some ppl told me how i have to take all these classes to prove to schools that i can do it.
I will be done with pre-reqs this semester and thought about taking
micro bio and either biochem or anatomy at a local CC(since it is so much cheaper).
Would that be a good idea?
After this semester i am 16 credits from graduating and 15 of those are my major so taking any science class would be nearly impossible unless i do it over the summer.
The only problem is that my Uni during the summer is so expensive and has very inconvinient schedule comparing to CC.
Any thoughts?

Not a must, but familiarity with the material would be helpful. Don't kill yourself trying to take a course, and if you really want to, take a biochemistry or physiology course at a cc over the summer. Anatomy will help (just because you'll have a general familiarity with terminology), but most likely it will be different from medical school anatomy. Its good going into a physio in med school course knowing what a g-protein is, or what a t-wave is, et al.

There are definitely people who get accepted with non-science majors and just the bare minimum science pre-req requirements. I agree that biochemistry and genetics are good classes to take if you can fit them in. Some schools do require them. Plus, they will help you on the MCAT. I took genetics, but not biochemistry. Two of my personal favorites were cell bio and micro, although genetics was interesting too. If you can fit in some classes, then do it. If not, then don't worry about it. Just do well in the science classes you do take and well on the MCAT and you will be fine. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :love:

Not a must, but familiarity with the material would be helpful. Don't kill yourself trying to take a course, and if you really want to, take a biochemistry or physiology course at a cc over the summer. Anatomy will help (just because you'll have a general familiarity with terminology), but most likely it will be different from medical school anatomy. Its good going into a physio in med school course knowing what a g-protein is, or what a t-wave is, et al.

Yea...My physiology course right now is almost following the examkrackers bio book by lecture.....So physiology may be a good one to take, pre-mcat

well i can't take any of the physio or genetics before the MCAT because i am taking MCAT in May and apparently i am not into any of these classes.
But i guess if time and funds permit i will try to take one class (most likely biochem) at the local CC or online.
I need to work during the summer to secure some funds for the apps cycle.
Thank you all for your input. It is very much appreciated.
:D :D :D

Nothing you take at a CC is an upper level class b/c CC's are only two year institutions. So if you're looking to take upper level classes, you can't do it there. I know some CC's offer microbio, but it's for nursing students I think and is a 200 level course. Probably not what you're looking for. If I were you, I'd take 300 level biochem and/or genetics courses.

Nothing you take at a CC is an upper level class b/c CC's are only two year institutions. So if you're looking to take upper level classes, you can't do it there. I know some CC's offer microbio, but it's for nursing students I think and is a 200 level course. Probably not what you're looking for. If I were you, I'd take 300 level biochem and/or genetics courses.

well i am not totally sure about this since for instance a genetic course in my university(the only genetics bio available to the undergrads) is 200 level course and so is the genetics at the local CC.
But i decided anyways that i will take the online biochem offered by UNE.
It sattisfies the req of biochem for their DO school and for all other DO schools and since i like studying on my own anyways(do not like going to class), it will be perfect.
I wish i could take more classes but time wise and financially i am not able to do so. But i hope that biochem will be good enough and i think it is an interesting class to take (i love orgo).

I've heard that people who have had histology before have an easier time. Also, many of the bio questions I see preparing for the MCAT I know from physiology class, not the bio pre reqs.

I've heard that people who have had histology before have an easier time. Also, many of the bio questions I see preparing for the MCAT I know from physiology class, not the bio pre reqs.

like i said above taking physio before the MCAT will not happen since i am taking MCAT in May(which makes taking physio during the summer and before the MCAT kinda impossible LOL).
Histo is not offered in my school so i am not taking that one either.
My only problem was to take something upper level science before i send out my apps to show schools that i can do it even though i am not a science major....so my only option is to take something during the summer if at all.

It depends upon the CC. If the CC has a nursing program or a large science program they will offer some upper level classes.