Upper Level Science Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scaredddd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend who is a premed and graduated told me that professors in upper level courses tend to be less about weeding out students, is this true?

Are they easier to get As in if you put in the work?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, yes.

It's all slides and memorization. (as opposed to chem/ochem)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think that's necessarily the case. It's just that in the upper level courses almost everyone who was going to be weeded out already has, and the students who are left already know the routine. So there's less complaining and less failing. The professors also tend to be on better terms with the students because at that point their classes are largely comprised of students interested in the material or who at least take it seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, but do professors still predetermine how many students will get an A, A-, B+, etc? I'm assuming no since classes are smaller?

I see, but do professors still predetermine how many students will get an A, A-, B+, etc? I'm assuming no since classes are smaller?

Totally dependent on your school. In my experience, the grading scale was the same. I was just used to pegging those 4.0s.

We don't even have scales, my friend had a 83 in one class and I had an 81 and somehow we were separated by a letter grade. Oh well, guess I just need to work harder.

I've found all my upper-level sciences to be considerably easier than organic, general physics, etc. That could just be my school, though.

PS - anyone else having serious time delays while typing on SDN? This is the only site that I have this problem on and it's almost to the point where it's not even worth posting. This is what I get when I don't slow down enough to let it catch up:

Ps - anyone lse havingserios mdelys il typing on SDN Thisise nly site ht I have this prolem on and it's almost to t poi whereit'not even th posing.

:(

I've found all my upper-level sciences to be considerably easier than organic, general physics, etc. That could just be my school, though.

PS - anyone else having serious time delays while typing on SDN? This is the only site that I have this problem on and it's almost to the point where it's not even worth posting. This is what I get when I don't slow down enough to let it catch up:

Ps - anyone lse havingserios mdelys il typing on SDN Thisise nly site ht I have this prolem on and it's almost to t poi whereit'not even th posing.

:(
No such problems here. It may be how you browser is interacting with the site. Try reseting it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, thank the lord. It's working normal again. Thanks J Senpai!

While I have only taken 2 upper level science courses (one in math, another in physics) I have found that while they are not necessarily "easier" they are easier to get an A in.

Edit: wrote chemistry, meant to write physics.

Threads like this are kinda pointless...go ask people at your own school and department. How are the rest if us supposed to know? Generalizations across colleges are rarely ever true or informative.

My friend who is a premed and graduated told me that professors in upper level courses tend to be less about weeding out students, is this true?

Have you taken p chem? Definitely not an easy class.

Have you taken p chem? Definitely not an easy class.
I didn't ask about easier, I asked about easier to get an A. Clearly you don't go to a grade deflating (limiting the amount of As) school.

In my experience, yes.

It's all slides and memorization. (as opposed to chem/ochem)

I agreed all the way up to the memorization part. While there is often a good amount of information to learn, my classes also were even more application based than the introductory courses.

I didn't ask about easier, I asked about easier to get an A. Clearly you don't go to a grade deflating (limiting the amount of As) school.

Why go to that type of school then?
A challenge? Good for you!