"Upper Tier/Lower Tier" Schools... How is this determined?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrewFromVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about upper and lower tier schools, but I've never known how this is decided... So, how is it decided?

Members don't see this ad.

Secret Ballot

First there is the evening gown competition, then swim wear, then talent

Members don't see this ad :)
well my guess is that everybody who refers to 'upper and lower tier' is talking about US News rankings

As far as what the cutoffs are, who knows. I've heard a lot of people talk about top 20, top 10, top 5 programs according to US News and then refer to everything else as 'lower tier'

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating the US News rankings. Please reserve your "ranking *****" claims to MacGyver.

I've heard top 50 are the top tier schools, but I could be wrong. If you ask me the rankings are alot of bull. There are alot of good schools that aren't even ranked (Tulane comes to mind). There are also alot of schools in the top that aren't really all that anymore, but are still up there regardless because of tradition. Don't pay too much attention to rankings. I sure don't.:)

It's a generalized thing, not something specific.

Originally posted by DrewFromVA
I've heard a lot about upper and lower tier schools, but I've never known how this is decided... So, how is it decided?

If you're referring to the USNews rankings, it is explained on their website. :)

the gremlin working in the basement of the USNEWS HQ in Mars decides the allotment of 1st, 2nd,...... and 8th tier med schools.
Seriously folks, my dad's friend has an MD from Yale. Wanna know how many times a patient asked him where he went to med sch?
Ans: 1 (..and that was me asking!!)