Upside Down Loan-Eating Monkeys Everywhere

Started by bdr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bdr

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With regard to deferment and forbearance: Is it safe to assume you will automatically be eligible for at least your first year after graduation, since your income for the previous year (M4 year) would have been 0?

If so, which would you be eligible for, deferment or forbearance? What is the minimum loan amount (with a 0 income) that makes you eligible for each, respectively? Thanks.
 
bdr said:
With regard to deferment and forbearance: Is it safe to assume you will automatically be eligible for at least your first year after graduation, since your income for the previous year (M4 year) would have been 0?

If so, which would you be eligible for, deferment or forbearance? What is the minimum loan amount (with a 0 income) that makes you eligible for each, respectively? Thanks.

I believe you could defer and forbear for a total of 5 years after medical school. After that you would have to pay, regardless of your ability. Remember bankruptcy protection does not include student loans, which makes them the single most risky investment (other than marriage) you may ever make in your lifetime.
 
What's the minimum level of student loans you need to have in year 2 of residency and year 3 of residency to be able to defer? I wish I could figure that out so (if I'm lucky and don't need to take out the maximum student loan amount offered) I take out the right amount of student loans.