Upstate Medical University- my 1st choice, but how do I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zatojoshi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After graduating with a 3.6 and an anthropology degree, and getting bargain-basement pay for assembling lightbulbs, I went back to school in hopes of becoming a rural physician. I realize, I made a terrible mistake going to community college instead of a 4 year school for pre-med requirements. Anyways, this is where I am now, just to give you some background information. As I researched medical schools, I found SUNY Upstate medical college's MD program and their residency program in rural family medicine, which is exactly what I want to do. I choose this school for many reasons:
-impressed with the residency program
-more affordable
-closer to home (no relocation to deal with)
-was impressed with the care that both my father and grandfather received there
My question is, how do I get them to choose me? Working full time and going to school full time (and I don't have a car, btw), I'm not sure how to make myself a more attractive candidate. Plus, I haven't heard anything about if it's a hard program to get into. Any help would be appreciated.

SUNY UPSTATE

Members don't see this ad.

Upstate is where I want to go, also. Not a bad commute, tuition is reasonable (for NYS), and I like the way the students interact with each other (I received my BS in Medical Technology there and am currently working on my MS and have had to take a few classes with the MSII's).

My advice to you is to meet with someone in admissions to go over your questions and concerns. Like you, most of my prereq's were taken at a CC before I realized med school was an option for me. You definitely need to do well on the MCAT to overcome this. They like to see that you have shadowed a physician. I have 5+ years experience as an EMT and they still wanted me to shadow. Go to their website and check out their frequently asked questions section. That might help you some.

Let me know if I can be of more help and good luck!

While it's fine to have a first choice, it is foolish to have an only choice. Statistically everyone gets a handful of rejections and most people have to make do with a choice that was not originally their first. Schools literally are getting like 8000 applications for 150 spots. Not everyone who want to get in will. Make yourself competitive for med school, apply broadly, and then get happy about one of those that wants you.

Members don't see this ad :)
After graduating with a 3.6 and an anthropology degree, and getting bargain-basement pay for assembling lightbulbs, I went back to school in hopes of becoming a rural physician. I realize, I made a terrible mistake going to community college instead of a 4 year school for pre-med requirements. Anyways, this is where I am now, just to give you some background information. As I researched medical schools, I found SUNY Upstate medical college's MD program and their residency program in rural family medicine, which is exactly what I want to do. I choose this school for many reasons:
-impressed with the residency program
-more affordable
-closer to home (no relocation to deal with)
-was impressed with the care that both my father and grandfather received there
My question is, how do I get them to choose me? Working full time and going to school full time (and I don't have a car, btw), I'm not sure how to make myself a more attractive candidate. Plus, I haven't heard anything about if it's a hard program to get into. Any help would be appreciated.

SUNY UPSTATE
Hi there! It's great to find a school that seems a perfect fit but remember that most people apply to >9 schools to increase their chance of success. Having similar feelings to you about a school in the past, I honestly feel that you need decent numbers to get past the first screen at any school; without that you'll have a hard time getting an interview. A firm interest in the school, inside contacts, and even working there helps, but my feeling is that these things only matter if you get an interview. Now, that said, every school wants to hear applicants say that they're in love with them and when I'm interviewing students, I do take note of such statements and, for the most part, they are genuine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the community college credits - especially for Upstate. Many medical schools have students who completed part of their education at a CC. Upstate's current website statistics indicate an average student GPA of around 3.6 and an MCAT of around 29. You're more than half-way there with your fine GPA. Since you indicated that you are local, you might want to call the Director of Admissions and see if they will meet you to discuss what you can do to assemble a strong application for that school. It's definitely worth a try.

If you are that interested in rurul medicine, MANY programs affiliated with medical schools have such programs and they would love a resident that is as passionate about it as you are - especially in parts of NY state where rural physicians are in short supply. You could get into the rural Family Medicine residency at Upstate after attending other medical schools, too. Upstate's student RMED program starts in the clinical phase of medical school (years 3 and 4). Here's a recent paper that shows how successful it is: http://www.academicmedicine.org/pt/...qPLSG2VXkwPRW9v1!267491070!-949856145!8091!-1 Good luck!

Thank you for your replies. Obviously, Upstate is not my only choice. I just don't have a lot of spare money to waste on applications for school I know flat-out I won't get into (you know, your Ivy-league). I'm looking for schools like Upstate that I can both get into and afford. If anyone has any suggestions, I will look into more schools.

At this point, I am finishing up chemistry and moving onto orgo. and physics. I will probably take the MCAT in August and then I'll get a better idea what to do.

I just don't have a lot of spare money to waste on applications for school I know flat-out I won't get into (you know, your Ivy-league). I'm looking for schools like Upstate that I can both get into and afford. If anyone has any suggestions, I will look into more schools.
Assuming you have a decent GPA and MCAT by the time you apply, take out loans to cover the cost of application if you have to. In the grand scale of things, the cost of applying to medical school is small compared to the cost of attending medical school, and a focused application sent to a wide range of schools will decrease the liklihood of you becoming a reapplicant (again, assuming all else is in order). Good luck.

Thank you for your replies. Obviously, Upstate is not my only choice. I just don't have a lot of spare money to waste on applications for school I know flat-out I won't get into (you know, your Ivy-league). I'm looking for schools like Upstate that I can both get into and afford. If anyone has any suggestions, I will look into more schools.

At this point, I am finishing up chemistry and moving onto orgo. and physics. I will probably take the MCAT in August and then I'll get a better idea what to do.

Oregon Health & Science University is very committed to training rural physicians. And they do take quite many out of staters.

I also think Ohio State and University of Vermont both have similar focuses and both take many out of staters.