UpToDate for Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codeb1ue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an IM resident, I turn to UTD and similar sites constantly for information regarding disease management. I know this will be a silly question but do Anesthesiologists also utilize UTD or any other similarly centralized site just as much? Or are you guys relegated to utilizing and purchasing fat Anesthesiology textbooks for information source.

Members don't see this ad.

Textbooks are out of date by a year before they even hit the stores. I've written several chapters. You'll never get quality current research in a book. I use journals to keep abreast of the latest changes. Generally I search for articles on the university's electronic library and print out new stuff or order reprints for the rare articles that I cannot get online. I'm actually stepping into the 21st century and moving everything to a neatly organized digital PDF file cabinet. The iPad is perfect for this.

IlDestriero, check out papers for mac. A new version came out while I've been away, and I haven't seen it. But, picture something like itunes for journal articles. It will pull their bibliographic date from pubmed and match it to the pdf. You can have collections, like tags in gmail. Biggest downer is no way to use it like end note. I don't know if the new version fixed that.

Members don't see this ad :)
IlDestriero, check out papers for mac. A new version came out while I've been away, and I haven't seen it. But, picture something like itunes for journal articles. It will pull their bibliographic date from pubmed and match it to the pdf. You can have collections, like tags in gmail. Biggest downer is no way to use it like end note. I don't know if the new version fixed that.

I use "Papers" and it is superb. The iTunes analogy is a good one, and I'd add that it has excellent capabilities for managing references within papers/chapters/etc.

As for UTD, there are very few anesthesia topics covered there. I use it occasionally for IM-related stuff, but never to look up an anesthesia topic.

I use "Papers" and it is superb. The iTunes analogy is a good one, and I'd add that it has excellent capabilities for managing references within papers/chapters/etc.

As for UTD, there are very few anesthesia topics covered there. I use it occasionally for IM-related stuff, but never to look up an anesthesia topic.

What DO you use then may I ask

AccessAnesthesiology.com is a subscription website that I've heard good things about but my institution doesn't subscribe. It looks cool when you visit the site. But you can't access much without a subscription. There are probably individual subscriptions like one can subscribe to UTD on their own if they so choose.

I loved up-to-date.

I rarely use it now however - wikipedia has essentially replaced it for what I would ever use it for. (I mostly just used it for information - not treatment based knowledge).

There was a study done my brother told me about - don't know more details...but where the investigators possed clinical questions, and had different teams use different tools to come up with the right answer (pubmed vs mdconsult vs textbooks vs google...or whatever) and the goal was speed in coming up with the right answer or treatment.

Up-to-date blew them all away.

However, for anesthesia stuff - if i need a textbook answer (rare), I look at the big textbooks on-line. Miller is on OVID, Barash is on MDConsult - other common textbooks are on those resources as well.

For most things - looking for articles - I use Google Scholar. What a cool tool that is.

As an IM resident, I turn to UTD and similar sites constantly for information regarding disease management. I know this will be a silly question but do Anesthesiologists also utilize UTD or any other similarly centralized site just as much? Or are you guys relegated to utilizing and purchasing fat Anesthesiology textbooks for information source.

fyi - UpToDate is going to have an Anesthesiology product within the next couple years.

fyi - UpToDate is going to have an Anesthesiology product within the next couple years.

Uptodate is going to have quite a monopoly going on the electronic textbooks. We'll all be putting out $1000 a year to keep our subscriptions, especially if someone doesn't have a solid competing product out.

Uptodate is so expensive the military dropped it, its back now in some places.

My residency hospital almost dropped it when Uptodate was trying to triple the annual price paid by our library. I want to say they were already paying around $250,000 per year.

Next thing you know uptodate and apple will form a new partnership.