upward gpa trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beatla19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My gpa is on a severe upwrad trend. I go to the top CSU right now, and my gpa was a 2.0 frehman year. It's a 3.0 for sphomore year. My overall gpa is obviously horrible, but have any of you heard of anyone who had a bad overall but got in because their gpa was increasing so much, year to year? (This is with the consideration that I get in the high 3's my junior and senior years.)

Members don't see this ad.

I kinda did that trend. Except I started at a 3.0 and worked my way up from there. In all my interviews they pointed out the poor beginnings, but I was able to justify it with the grade trend. And good MCATs.

The moral of the story is that I think both the upward movement and the MCATs saved me - so be prepared for that big test!

i second what loyen said. that story sounds just like me. also, great LORs help. most of mine were from junior year, when i was much more dedicated - thus all of my letters were strong. that balanced by a strong MCAT and good ECs and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello beatla19!

So the top CSU is in San Luis Obispo, eh? Meh. I also go to CSU...Fullerton that is! It may not be "the best" (whatever that means :p ) but it's certainly got the highest professional health school acceptance rates out of all the CSU's as far as I know. Thanks for starting up the thread, btw, because all these responses really encourage me! My current GPA is 2.5, but once this semester is over it should increase to about 3.57 for this semester and 3.08 for cumulative (I'm a freshman)

Of course, I'm gonna bust out and study harder in the next semesters!

No disrespect toward fullerton man! One of my good buddies goes there, and he seems to really like it. I really have no idea what the acceptance rates are, but I can certainly believe fullerton has a better one. On another note, I'm glad there are at some people who struggled their in their beginnings. This only gives me hope.

yes, it is totally possible to get into medical school with a poor start in undergrad. however, you are going to have to work your butt off!! there are plenty of people who don't get in who never did poorly in a class. so why should they let *you* in? you're going to have to set yourself apart w/ your ec's and mcat, and also try to get as close to a 4.0 as possible for the rest of your college career. additionally, it would probably be wise to take a year off after college (and maybe do the cal poly 5 year plan) in order to include more classes in your gpa. is that 2.0 in science classes? if so, it will hurt you. if not, then you are in better shape. think about it, if you go to school for 4 years getting a 2.0 freshman year, 3.0 sophomore year, 4.0 junior year, and 4.0 senior year, you will only have a 3.25 gpa!! they will see it broken down by year and will know you've improved so that's good. however, some schools may have gpa cutoffs and you might not make it. i don't want to discourage you, but i do want you to know you have your work cut out for you! good luck :).

Thank you for the advice, lola :)

I looked a little bit into the waitlisted thread but not very far...so, have you been taken off the waitlist at any schools yet?

Oh yeah, and beatla19, sorry if you misinterpreted what I said. I meant it in jest. I'm not insecure or mad or anything :D

So you got a friend goin' to Fullerton? Is he pre-med too?

Biodude- Yeah, his name's gabe, but he's not a premed. By the way, your baseball team rocks. I'm going to see them play tommarrow at CP.
Also, Lola, thanks for the advice. I do realize I HAVE to well now. However, i will certainly be on the CP five-year plan, so i've got a few more classes to go!:D

thanks mesmerize. I've got a few d's to make up, so im kind of in the same boat.