Upward trend, but too late?

Started by John L
Tags Tags
upward trend
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John L

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

TL;DR I had a lot to sort out from childhood and, while I won't go into details, I started university with diagnosed depression. I also had a lot of growing up to do too. Consequently, the first two and a half years I managed a 3.2 cGPA/ 2.88 sGPA, but by some stroke of luck and a lot of therapy, in my last two and a half years I earned a 3.82 cGPA/ 3.85 sGPA. After I graduated from my four-year school (UW), I went to a local community college to take courses (and finish some labs) bringing my cGPA up to a 3.7 and sGPA up to 3.78. When I took the MCAT recently, I scored 516.

Since then, I have been working as an EMT, volunteering at a local mental health home and shadowing as much as I can. I also think I have pretty good letters, one from the president of UW, whom I worked with on a thesis, an english prof, and my EMT supervisor.

SO, given my rocky start--including 10 hardship-withdrawn courses and a 2.1 in calc II--and given that I had to take the entire physics series at a community college, do I still stand a chance at allo schools? As a California resident should I consider moving before I apply? Any tips/ pointers for my next step? I'm only 22, so I'm in no rush to start medical school either.

Thanks a bunch!
 
You should be able to receive several interviews at MD schools with your stats as long as you apply broadly to appropriate schools. When do you plan to apply?
I am hoping to start Fall of 2019, and would prefer no later than 2020.

Would it be a good idea to move to another state before then?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am hoping to start Fall of 2019, and would prefer no later than 2020.

Would it be a good idea to move to another state before then?
It depends. Some states do not place much weight on a recent resident applying while for others it is not a factor. You would need to check with each state public school to determine this.
 
It depends. Some states do not place much weight on a recent resident applying while for others it is not a factor. You would need to check with each state public school to determine this.
Thank you 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.