-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
upward trend in personal statement?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No, you have a 3.7/3.6s, you don't need to explain anything! Just mention your path to medicine without mentioning the freshman year grades.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like the "I fell asleep freshman year" story. It does show how you have evolved and matured as you formulated a goal.
That makes sense, but is it good to tell stories about things you did wrong in the opening of a ps? I feel like we're often told to not bring up negative things unless it is absolutely necessary.I like the "I fell asleep freshman year" story. It does show how you have evolved and matured as you formulated a goal.
I should have applied to your school....I like the "I fell asleep freshman year" story. It does show how you have evolved and matured as you formulated a goal.
That makes sense, but is it good to tell stories about things you did wrong in the opening of a ps? I feel like we're often told to not bring up negative things unless it is absolutely necessary.
Self-deprecating humor is the only humor that belongs in a PS and the only way to bring up a flaw.
Most personal statements are a snore because most applicants sanitize them to the point where they all sound the same. Give us a reason to chuckle and we will remember you fondly.
Most personal statements are a snore because most applicants sanitize them to the point where they all sound the same. Give us a reason to chuckle and we will remember you fondly.
So adding humor in the PS is acceptable?
Granted I'm no LizzyM, but unless you write it correctly, do you really want to waste valuable characters on how you overslept? Is that the best story you have for your personal statement?
Of course it is not the only story in my PS, but it may very well be the story that best represents how far I've come in the past 4 years. And I like the idea of opening with something other than your standard moving clinical experience (although I do throw one in later on)
So adding humor in the PS is acceptable?
If it is done well which is uncommon.
Of course it is not the only story in my PS, but it may very well be the story that best represents how far I've come in the past 4 years. And I like the idea of opening with something other than your standard moving clinical experience (although I do throw one in later on)
And it all fits in the character limit? I didn't t think it could be that long. I better start writing mine.
And it all fits in the character limit? I didn't t think it could be that long. I better start writing mine.
I've written 2 pages (double spaced, 12 pt font) and it's a little less than 5,000 characters.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I'm beginning to draft my personal statement for the 2017 application cycle (early, I know), and I was wondering about one thing:
I had no idea what I wanted to do when I started undergrad. The result was less than stellar gpa my freshman year (~3.3). My junior and senior year gpa's are 3.9+. I feel this part of the story is key in explaining my path, but I don't want to come off as making excuses.
In my first draft, my introduction is a story of how I slept through an important class presentation during my freshman year. I then transition into explaining how I discovered a passion for medicine. I know this is atypical, but is it acceptable? Would it be better forgo discussing these earlier years in my PS?
Thanks for your input!
That sounds awfully boring. Why not just say why you like medicine, cuz your grades already speak for themselves.
An admissions committee will like your upward trend in grades, which you have a good explanation for. It definitely belongs in your personal statement, but I would emphasize the positive things, rather than the negative things. You probably don't want to talk about sleeping through class. Just set the state with a more vague statement about how you were not as disciplined. Save the specific examples for when you talk about how you changed and transformed! By the way, there is this site that is gaining a lot of traction as of late (motivatemd.com) that does personal statement reviews!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 581