Upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1027718

So I wanted to get a gist of what this might look like and how I should phrase myself

My first semester I got a 2.9x (science 2.5x), I tried to do too many things at once and I was completely at fault. I fixed myself up and got a 3.7x the next semester (still freshman year).
Since then I've gotten 4.0s for my semesters.

At the rate I'm going, if everything works out, a cumulative cGPA and sGPA of 3.7+ is realistic / on track (even a low 3.8+ for cGPA if I do maintain a 4.0 until I apply, lol let's see about that)

I was wondering, by anyone's experience, if a point jump trend had any effect on their application? Or is this minor

Thank you so much for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to read this

Members don't see this ad.

So I wanted to get a gist of what this might look like and how I should phrase myself

My first semester I got a 2.9x (science 2.5x), I tried to do too many things at once and I was completely at fault. I fixed myself up and got a 3.7x the next semester (still freshman year).

At the rate I'm going, if everything works out, a cumulative cGPA and sGPA of 3.7+ is realistic / on track (even a low 3.8+ for cGPA if I do maintain a 4.0 until I apply, lol let's see about that)

I was wondering, by anyone's experience, if a point jump trend had any effect on their application? Or is this minor

Thank you so much for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to read this
Adcoms love seeing upward trends, but they don't see your transcript, just courses and grades. Obviously they will be able to tell a part when your might've taken intro coursework versus upper level coursework. Most medical schools don't try to hold your first year against you, but heavily favor students capable of succeeding coursework that is challenging not introductory level. Pay close attention to your science GPA, don't try to pad up your overall GPA with easy coursework.

Reactions: 1 user

Rising GPA trends like yours are always good.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rising GPA trends like yours are always good.

Would it have any real significance for applications? As in does it seem like reinvention or something?
Been mad at myself at what could've been... but hey we gotta look to the future

Adcoms love seeing upward trends, but they don't see your transcript, just courses and grades. Obviously they will be able to tell a part when your might've taken intro coursework versus upper level coursework. Most medical schools don't try to hold your first year against you, but heavily favor students capable of succeeding coursework that is challenging not introductory level. Pay close attention to your science GPA, don't try to pad up your overall GPA with easy coursework.

Are classes not listed by order you've taken them // by semester?

Are classes not listed by order you've taken them // by semester?

Yes, they are listed in the order they were taken. Out of curiosity, did you have advanced placement out of Intro Chem and take O-chem as a freshman? This is a relatively common reason for a strong upward trend out of freshman year.

Yes, they are listed in the order they were taken. Out of curiosity, did you have advanced placement out of Intro Chem and take O-chem as a freshman? This is a relatively common reason for a strong upward trend out of freshman year.

Unfortunately that was not the case, regular chem
I did decent my second semester (3.7x), but it's my first semester with the dragging down. Reason being I wasn't the best with time, ran back and forth to where I volunteer and such, gave too much time to activities rather than classes

The good news is that on the AMCAS application GPA is reported by academic year, not semester so the first semester will be averaged wiht the second when you did better. anyone who wants to look at the chronology will see that the poorer grades were in Fall and the better ones in Spring. You should be fine, particularly given that you are now pulling all A's.

Reactions: 1 users