UQ-Ochsner 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 years of freedom to study what I wanted in preclinical
Hey there! Congrats on achieving the residency you wanted! Can you extrapolate on how UQ allowed you freedom to study what you wanted? It sounds like you got to choose which classes you can take (like undergrad) while US med school standard is a set curriculum.
I know you would rank UQ over a new DO program, but I would not because for me, studying medicine in Australia is complicated from working with the banks funding your education to navigating different courses/in house exams qualifying for sitting for STEP lol. But obviously for you, it was worth it. Did you turn down any DO or perhaps even USMD acceptances to go to UQ? If so, what was your thought process. Anything you can share would help new students make up their minds for themselves if it is worth for them to pursue their medical degree at UQ or somewhere closer to home. Although I have made my personal decision to go to a DO program, I still have lots of friends who are my juniors that will be applying the next cycle so new information would really help me recommend certain programs including UQ over others. Thanks and congrats again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! Congrats on achieving the residency you wanted! Can you extrapolate on how UQ allowed you freedom to study what you wanted? It sounds like you got to choose which classes you can take (like undergrad) while US med school standard is a set curriculum.
I know you would rank UQ over a new DO program, but I would not because for me, studying medicine in Australia is complicated from working with the banks funding your education to navigating different courses/in house exams qualifying for sitting for STEP lol. But obviously for you, it was worth it. Did you turn down any DO or perhaps even USMD acceptances to go to UQ? If so, what was your thought process. Anything you can share would help new students make up their minds for themselves if it is worth for them to pursue their medical degree at UQ or somewhere closer to home. Although I have made my personal decision to go to a DO program, I still have lots of friends who are my juniors that will be applying the next cycle so new information would really help me recommend certain programs including UQ over others. Thanks and congrats again.
UQ is a set curriculum as well, but the amount of time REQUIRED to be spent in class is pretty minimal and the workshops/CBLs in my opinion are well set up and thought out. Until the STEP 1 prep course in semester 2 of MS2 where UQ students get an elective and UQO students must take that course, you are treated the same way as the aussie students. I'd estimate the required hours per week in class to be roughly 10-15h depending on the week plus 6-8h per week of optional lectures, which means that the UQO students have plenty of time to use 3rd party study resources. It also means that the students with a proclivity to procrastinate can do so without any consequences until they fail at the end of the semester. The curriculum really rewards self-motivated students but might not provide the discipline needed for those who can't keep their own schedule. It's entirely possible to have time for fun and hobbies while still performing at the top of the class if you study efficiently. A major achilles heel is the anatomy workshop. They have cadavers but they're all pre-dissected and you're not allowed to be in there outside of scheduled hours. I personally think this is by far the weakest point of the UQ medical education and partially why more UQO students don't try for surgical specialties.

As for my path to UQ, you're welcome to DM me but I don't want to share that in this forum.

For the financial aspect, it's no different than going to a domestic school. All of the loans are federal, not private, and you will be able to do PSLF if you stay in the US after graduation. Navigating the aussie curriculum wasn't a big deal. Almost everyone in the UQO program ignores the aussie study materials until reading slides the day before the exam and does fine. The STEP material is enough for you do pass or do well on the UQ exams.

My advice for students considering the program would be that it's honestly a high quality medical education with a good network in the deep south but has the significant drawback of IMG status. That's heavily mitigated with a lot of non-surgical specialties specifically in Louisiana, Miss, Alabama, and Arkansas where PDs know what the program is, but outside those states how you're perceived as an applicant will depend on whether that specific program has taken an applicant from the program or not. If they haven't, you're just another IMG. A lot of programs are just gonna be off limits because of the IMG status and your path to specialties like derm and the surgical subs will be much more difficult than it would be for USMD students. When comparing to DO programs, the disadvantage is a lot less clear because it's really a program by program thing. Some well connected and reputable DO programs are going to provide students with a lot more residency options than UQO can, but some of the brand new rural or lowest quality DO schools struggling with accreditation will match their students worse than UQO does.

I think that the student who UQO is BEST for is: someone who has some connections to the deep south and wouldn't mind staying there for residency, has a decent med school application but hasn't gotten into a domestic MD/DO program because of some things like GPA or volunteering hours that UQ is more forgiving on, and is in a living situation where moving to Australia is something that is either a neutral or positive aspect of the program.

Another student that it might be good for is someone from the east/west coast who has applied to domestic schools for a cycle or 2 and has no acceptances or a single acceptance to a similarly priced DO school with a well documented bad reputation.

If you're considering a Caribbean school, then UQ is a way better option if you get accepted.

If there are some simple things holding you back like clinical/volunteering hours or a subpar MCAT score, then by all means fix those and reapply. However, if you have the choice between going to UQ now or doing a 2 year post-bacc before reapplying to DO programs, the right answer is much less clear to me. It's a personal choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. 👋 I’m hoping a UQ student might help me. I’m set for an interview and 🤞🏽 if it goes well, wondering what the first day I would need to be in Brisbane, ready to go?

Hello. 👋 I’m hoping a UQ student might help me. I’m set for an interview and 🤞🏽 if it goes well, wondering what the first day I would need to be in Brisbane, ready to go?
Likely will change slightly from year to year, but looks like this year it was January 30, see here for more info: Orientation - 2023

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my acceptance because I got into another school! Hope it goes to one of you :)

Respectfully, it seems like no one in this thread knows nearly enough to offer any meaningful advice. I'm one of the UQ-O grads who matched this year. If you have any specific questions then shoot and I'll try my best to give you an honest answer.

To the question already posed of "would you rather go to a low tier or new DO school over UQO" my answer would be an emphatic no. I have my own qualms with UQ and the program, but after 2 years of freedom to study what I wanted in preclinical, 2 years of pretty high quality institutionally scheduled clinical rotations, plenty of research opportunities, and matching both the specialty and institution I wanted, I would not give that up to go to a less reputable DO school and secure my own rotations.
I would love your input on finances and the reality of debt here. Are you planning to practice in Aus or US? Did debt impact that decision? Would you do it the same if you could do it over? What do scholarships look like and are they significant enough in your opinion to sway any decision about where to be/accept? I'm really interested in this program and I want to eventually practice in Aus, but looking at the cost of attendance and salaries in Aus, I'm conflicted.

Hello, does anyone know if its too late to be a competitive applicant if I apply now? (recommendations on if its too late incase a retake of the mcat is required?).

Hello, does anyone know if its too late to be a competitive applicant if I apply now? (recommendations on if its too late incase a retake of the mcat is required?).
They are still accepting application and offering interview. I believe it's not too late.

Hi Guys. I have a question for the student visa.. While I select government financial support (I'm applying for FAFSA) for the "funding to stay" section, it is asking for a contact person details. I have no idea where can I get a name for it and I don't see anything about this on FAFSA or UQ website. Should I just unselect government financial support? Or is there anything I can do with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to add my 2 cents here as someone who got accepted to UQ and a new DO school (khsc kcom). I did quite a bit of open research and private research from current students at both to develop my opinion. Both schools have 2 years of basic sciences and 2 years of clinical rotations. There are nuanced differences with cons that UQ and new DO programs have that balance this out quite closely, and I think it comes down to personal values and what cons that one might be willing to work around.

UQ con I have seen in a lot of threads is that basic sciences is different that US med schools where it is different incorporating Ausie medicine or weaker in biochem etc. Some see this as a con because it can impact STEP scores and some don't see it as that bad saying STEP does not test heavily on the topics UQ doesn't emphasize. Furthermore, you get more time for STEP because the academic year starts in January.
But for new DO programs, even if their goal is create primary care docs, the US medical education standard is there so you can have the full scope medical education has to offer. The downside is that you must take COMLEX and STEP if you want a decent shot at matching into MD residency programs which is more work + stress. But the good news is the content overlaps a lot so studying for one prepares for the other, given you add OPP studying for COMLEX. Furthermore, UQ has the cake on student opportunities for application enhancement like research over newer DO programs, but the more established ones have ties to regional resources to place students in labs. But, even in new DO programs, the student can always be proactive in finding their own opportunities in the summer and doing research in clinical rotation years.

As for clinical rotations, most DO programs including new DO programs do not have a home clinical site which UQ does have in Louisiana in its Ochsner network. The established DO programs have a variety of sites that make up for this, but newer DO programs do not. For example in khsc kcom, its very limited as of now because their inaugural class is just now starting 2nd year so setting those up is in the works. The clear con is you could go through the program unsure of where you might be rotating. UQ students know where they are going in Louisiana. But, as far as I know, this is not a big con because everyone will rotate. As for if a home program rotation is higher or lower in quality vs partnered clinical sites, I cannot say. It might be higher where you see a lot of difficult cases but partnered clinical sites you could see a variety of cases and have more familiarity with common issues of the populations there. Either way, both allow you to check the boxes when applying for residency programs.

My stance understanding this info is USMD> USDO (well established) >USDO (new) > UQ >>> Carib MD.
The reasoning for the decision is that to me, its not worth the hassle of moving to Australia to pursue an MD over a DO when its more expensive overall and more complicated because everything is different from the matriculation procedure, the start date of the academic year, to just adjusting to a new country. In 3rd year, yes you could do all your core rotations at one place, but in 4th its going to be up to all medical students to chose were they want to do their electives anyway so I personally do not mind having to travel during 3rd year as well. One can possible also work closely with their schools to condense core rotations to minimize travel as much as possible if that's an issue. If your personality is the adventurous type and you love traveling then you might rank UQ over a new USDO which quite alright. But we can all agree that UQ is waaaaay better than the for profit Carib MD lol with their high attrition rates, crowded labs that affect education (SGU is actually 3 full med schools divided like Hogwarts using 1 meager anatomy lab), and getting used to an island that might be 3rd world.
Hi, what were your stats? Asking because i'm interested in applying. Waiting for MCAT score to come back.

If it helps I scored just above 510, which is UQ-Ochsner's class average, and had an extremely low <2.5 gpa
How was the interview? I’m applying soon for the 2025 intake and saw it’s weighted at 50% with GPA and MCAT making up the other 50%. Any good MMI resources that you used, or am I overthinking it?

How was the interview? I’m applying soon for the 2025 intake and saw it’s weighted at 50% with GPA and MCAT making up the other 50%. Any good MMI resources that you used, or am I overthinking it?
Yes. I would recommend using medical ethics principles as a framework. It was a game changer that helped me incredibly during my interview prep. Check out this presentation to start:

There is a recording of the lecture online somewhere as well.

It was also very helpful to practice while recording myself and with others so I could always receive feedback and analyze what I said and what body language I was giving off. Honestly, this was useful in my own daily life as well on how I want to present myself when speaking with others professionally. You can find free MMI questions sets online for this.

Yes. I would recommend using medical ethics principles as a framework. It was a game changer that helped me incredibly during my interview prep. Check out this presentation to start:

There is a recording of the lecture online somewhere as well.

It was also very helpful to practice while recording myself and with others so I could always receive feedback and analyze what I said and what body language I was giving off. Honestly, this was useful in my own daily life as well on how I want to present myself when speaking with others professionally. You can find free MMI questions sets online for this.
Awesome. Thanks. I appreciate the help!

If it helps I scored just above 510, which is UQ-Ochsner's class average, and had an extremely low <2.5 gpa
Great thank you! idk what my score is yet but my GPA is a 3.4. If it is a 504 do you know of people getting accepted with a 504?

Great thank you! idk what my score is yet but my GPA is a 3.4. If it is a 504 do you know of people getting accepted with a 504?
I believe that they typically offer interviews to anyone who meets the minimums for GPA and MCAT. Then your MCAT and GPA would make up 25% each when they score you with the interview being the remaining 50%. So even with a 504, I think you would at least get your foot in the door, and it would mostly be up to how well you interview.

There's no such thing as "nuance" in a US MD/DO program versus a foreign medical school, regardless of country. You always want to attend medical school in the country that you're planning to practice medicine in, even attending a newer DO school is better than going to a foreign medical school, and the US MD/DO will always have priority in matching over any IMG.

If you're happy practicing in Australia, UQ-Ochsner is fine, but if you're wanting to match back into the US, you're put at the back of the line with the other IMG's from the Caribbean medical schools.
I think there is some confusion here.

Only the first two years (didactic learning instruction) of the Ochsner MD program is based in Australia. These years most people learn in classroom and off of utilities like BnB and Pathoma to prepare for step 1. In order for UQ Ochsner students to proceed to clinical years they MUST pass Step 1.

All 3rd and 4th year CLINICAL ROTATIONS are conducted in New Orleans entirely in the US healthcare system at Ochsner. Therefore all students who intend to match in the US ARE learning and practicing in the US medical system.

If somehow you believe that Ochsner students are not receiving the same level of preclinical knowledge as their US counterparts (due to studying in Australia) then I suggest you delve into their Step 1 pass rate.

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats on the Acceptance. Just curious, isn't there a minimum requirement of a B average GPA requirement (3.0???) for admissions?