Urgent Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I just got my MCAT back and I scored a 29 (10/10/9). I'm at a standstill as to what to do. I have my application completely ready (LOR, essays, etc) and was pretty much banking on getting at least a 31 on the MCAT to apply.

All I can say is, the MCAT process was really rough for me. I was using TBR books to study on my own, and in March, I was taking it with a heavy load like Biochem (I know, bad idea) and finishing up a thesis. I was scoring an average of 33-34 on the AAMCs. But it was such a bad time for me, I was so busy, and I signed up for the April MCAT. I voided that and had to move it to the May MCAT. The month leading up to the May MCAT, I was swamped with my thesis so I honestly feel like my scores started dipping then. I thought I could pull off at least a 30 so I decided to take it so I could move on.

I don't know if I should apply or retake it. I don't know if I have enough strength to go through this process again and now have to take another year off. Background: I graduated from an Ivy with a 3.9, have research & clinical, and am applying as disadvantaged (first generation college, socioeconomic). I'm a CT resident, and wanted to go to UConn. I don't know if that's possible anymore, as it'd be a gamble to apply there. I really don't want to go DO. I'm so confused, please help!

Members don't see this ad.

A 29 MCAT is decent. (Yes, a 31 would have been better....) But if you really have a 3.9 and all the other stuff you say, a 29 shouldn't hold you back.

I say apply if you already have everything ready.

I really really wanted to go to UConn (even if I had a better MCAT score). I want to do primary care and wanted to stay close to home. Do you think UConn is still a possibility for me with a 29 MCAT or would I really be gambling?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got my MCAT back and I scored a 29 (10/10/9). I'm at a standstill as to what to do. I have my application completely ready (LOR, essays, etc) and was pretty much banking on getting at least a 31 on the MCAT to apply.

All I can say is, the MCAT process was really rough for me. I was using TBR books to study on my own, and in March, I was taking it with a heavy load like Biochem (I know, bad idea) and finishing up a thesis. I was scoring an average of 33-34 on the AAMCs. But it was such a bad time for me, I was so busy, and I signed up for the April MCAT. I voided that and had to move it to the May MCAT. The month leading up to the May MCAT, I was swamped with my thesis so I honestly feel like my scores started dipping then. I thought I could pull off at least a 30 so I decided to take it so I could move on.

I don't know if I should apply or retake it. I don't know if I have enough strength to go through this process again and now have to take another year off. Background: I graduated from an Ivy with a 3.9, have research & clinical, and am applying as disadvantaged (first generation college, socioeconomic). I'm a CT resident, and wanted to go to UConn. I don't know if that's possible anymore, as it'd be a gamble to apply there. I really don't want to go DO. I'm so confused, please help!
Stats-wise UConn is still within your reach. Applying to med school is always a gamble. And sure, a 31 would be more comforting, but doesn't constitute a guaranty either since a competitive application depends on so much more.

your score is at their 10th percentile... and your GPA is near the 90th percentile.. it's gonna be a tough call for most of us to make honestly.

i would trust catalystik though.

You're competitive for U Conn and at least 15 other MD schools, so quit fussing and start applying! MSAR Online is your friend. Apply strategically.

Hi all,

Reactions: 1 user
¿Por que no los dos?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it. I know that it would be a gamble for UConn and I have looked into Quinnipiac. I like their model, but because they are such a new school, I'm not too sure about it. I'm not looking to get into a top 10 or anything, but I do feel like I've put in a lot of work over the past four years, and my MCAT could be better. I want to confidently know that I can get into UConn without the risk of having to go to another school somewhere else.

However, the process has been exhausting and I don't know if it's worth it to shell the money for a course. Moreover, I'd have to take 2 years off. The downsides that are also stopping me from applying are that:

-My premed committee wants applicants to have at least a 32 and no section below a 10 in order for them to endorse me. Unfortunately, my advisor is away traveling until early July and hasn't gotten back to me about this. I haven't submitted my primary yet. My school's committee is notorious for getting their letters in around late Aug-September so my app won't be complete until then. Again, they say this is "standard" and won't affect apps, but I already have a low MCAT and won't have the advantage of "applying early."
-Second, my BS score is a 9. I'm a bio major :/ I know this will send red flags as med schools really look into this score.

If anyone has more insight on my situation, let me know!

Hummm… Seems that UConn ranks their lowest MCAT BS score at a 10, whereas VR is at 8, and PS is a 9. But are those numbers on MSAR from their accepted students or from those who attend? Not sure. I suppose you gotta try or else you'll never know. Since they have an early decision, are you going to do this?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it. I know that it would be a gamble for UConn and I have looked into Quinnipiac. I like their model, but because they are such a new school, I'm not too sure about it. I'm not looking to get into a top 10 or anything, but I do feel like I've put in a lot of work over the past four years, and my MCAT could be better. [1.] I want to confidently know that I can get into UConn without the risk of having to go to another school somewhere else.

However, the process has been exhausting and I don't know if it's worth it to shell the money for a course. Moreover, I'd have to take 2 years off. The downsides that are also stopping me from applying are that:

- [2.] My premed committee wants applicants to have at least a 32 and no section below a 10 in order for them to endorse me. Unfortunately, my advisor is away traveling until early July and hasn't gotten back to me about this. I haven't submitted my primary yet. My school's committee is notorious for getting their letters in around late Aug-September so my app won't be complete until then. Again, they say this is "standard" and won't affect apps, but I already have a low MCAT and won't have the advantage of "applying early."
-Second, my BS score is a 9. I'm a bio major :/ I know this will send red flags as med schools really look into this score.

If anyone has more insight on my situation, let me know!

1. Not going to happen. Ever.
2. This makes no sense.

1. Agree.

2. Did you read the whole sentence? They want applicants to have a 32 in order for them to endorse her.

2. Yah, I read the sentence. Which applicants? Just kidding.

In seriousness, what makes no sense is the pre-med committee's endorsement hinging on a 32 MCAT score instead of the information they should be gleaning from their interactions with applicants over the course of the applicant's undergraduate education.

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Yah, I read the sentence. Which applicants? Just kidding.

In seriousness, what makes no sense is the pre-med committee's endorsement hinging on a 32 MCAT score instead of the information they should be gleaning from their interactions with applicants over the course of the applicant's undergraduate education.

Coming from an Ivy and having multiple friends at Ivies and small schools of similar caliber (Vassar, Swarthmore, Amherst, Williams), some have med school acceptances rates in the 90% plus range because they don't endorse candidates that they don't feel will be succesful. 32 seems like a high cutoff though

32 is their "recommended" cutoff. I've known friends who have gotten below that (~30) and they have endorsed them based on their background, GPA, work/activities. I don't think they will let me apply but my advisor is not reachable at the moment so I'm a little lost. Even if he did endorse me, I'm not sure it's worth applying this cycle with such a 29.

Also, yes, I've seen in MSAR that the 10th percentile for Bio for UConn is 10, so my 9 in Bio is not going to be good. If I do retake, I'd probably have to get 3+ points higher.

Coming from an Ivy and having multiple friends at Ivies and small schools of similar caliber (Vassar, Swarthmore, Amherst, Williams), some have med school acceptances rates in the 90% plus range because they don't endorse candidates that they don't feel will be succesful. 32 seems like a high cutoff though

Is it not the expectation that pre-med committees endorse applicants they feel will be successful as medical school students and future physicians based on information they glean from their unmatched access to applicants? Sure, this can include an MCAT score, but not scores that do not prohibit a students acceptance into any MD or DO program. In other words, their job is to accurately and honestly shed more light on their students to group of medical school admissions officers that don't have access to them, not take away opportunities that would otherwise be present.

Pre-med committees should only use acceptance rates of student's from their institution as a metric of the success of their students, not themselves. Also, it is not surprising that Ivies and similarly competitive school's students have high med school acceptance rates; it's a statistical bias.

I'm not from any Ivy, but otherwise we have similar applications. Same GPA, same MCAT, applying disadvantaged. Forget about the committee for a moment. Will you be heartbroken if you don't get into that particular school? If so, I'd wait a year and retake for your absolute best chance. I'm open to a lot of different locations, and that's the only reason I'm going for it. With a 29, you don't get to be picky. I'd wager that you're never able to be so picky that you only consider one school, but even less so with the 29. Personally, I feel like I only stand to go up a point or maybe two and my score may go down, so I'm sticking with it and applying to both MD and DO. But you sound like you know you can do considerably better, so I think a retake is in order.

32 is their "recommended" cutoff. I've known friends who have gotten below that (~30) and they have endorsed them based on their background, GPA, work/activities. I don't think they will let me apply but my advisor is not reachable at the moment so I'm a little lost. Even if he did endorse me, I'm not sure it's worth applying this cycle with such a 29.

Also, yes, I've seen in MSAR that the 10th percentile for Bio for UConn is 10, so my 9 in Bio is not going to be good. If I do retake, I'd probably have to get 3+ points higher.

Why do you think they will not endorse you? You are competitive based on your stats alone for many medical schools. Is there something else you aren't telling us?

I'm not from any Ivy, but otherwise we have similar applications. Same GPA, same MCAT, applying disadvantaged. Forget about the committee for a moment. Will you be heartbroken if you don't get into that particular school? If so, I'd wait a year and retake for your absolute best chance. I'm open to a lot of different locations, and that's the only reason I'm going for it. With a 29, you don't get to be picky. I'd wager that you're never able to be so picky that you only consider one school, but even less so with the 29. Personally, I feel like I only stand to go up a point or maybe two and my score may go down, so I'm sticking with it and applying to both MD and DO. But you sound like you know you can do considerably better, so I think a retake is in order.
Thanks for your advice, and hope it works out well for you! I really want to stay in Connecticut. Even if I scored a 35+, UConn was still at the top of my list. Which is making the retake decision even harder.

Why do you think they will not endorse you? You are competitive based on your stats alone for many medical schools. Is there something else you aren't telling us?
I think they won't based on my MCAT score. My advisor from premed committee made that clear to all students that anyone scoring below a 32 or less than 10 on any section -- yes, they may still write a letter for some people whose stats are high, but those people usually are those with 30 or 31. I fall a point below that. :/

You're being naïve for making your decision based on your perceived competitiveness for UCONN. You should consider uncoupling your medical school aspirations from UCONN, and instead consider UCONN as your top-choice, not only choice.

Thanks for your advice, and hope it works out well for you! I really want to stay in Connecticut. Even if I scored a 35+, UConn was still at the top of my list. Which is making the retake decision even harder.

I think they won't based on my MCAT score. My advisor from premed committee made that clear to all students that anyone scoring below a 32 or less than 10 on any section -- yes, they may still write a letter for some people whose stats are high, but those people usually are those with 30 or 31. I fall a point below that. :/

That wouldn't stop me.

Is it not the expectation that pre-med committees endorse applicants they feel will be successful as medical school students and future physicians based on information they glean from their unmatched access to applicants? Sure, this can include an MCAT score, but not scores that do not prohibit a students acceptance into any MD or DO program. In other words, their job is to accurately and honestly shed more light on their students to group of medical school admissions officers that don't have access to them, not take away opportunities that would otherwise be present.

Pre-med committees should only use acceptance rates of student's from their institution as a metric of the success of their students, not themselves. Also, it is not surprising that Ivies and similarly competitive school's students have high med school acceptance rates; it's a statistical bias.

Sounds like you know how to be a better pre-med advisor than those at Harvard, Yale and Amherst ;)

Your user name is extremely appropriate.

Sounds like you know how to be a better pre-med advisor than those at Harvard, Yale and Amherst ;)

I'm not familiar with those institution's pre-med committees or really interested in what percentage of their students are accepted into medical schools; most are set up for success. What I am more interested in is the average undergraduate institution's premed committee becoming prohibitive to medical school admissions as a result of unreasonable MCAT expectations. There is a distinction between the role of the admissions committee and the premed committee when it comes to the goal of medical school, and that should be respected.

An MCAT score of 32 would not preclude acceptance into the majority of medical schools, but lack of a premed committees endorsement does. Therefore, the ball ends up in the wrong court.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like this school is protecting its franchise by only endorsing those students it expects to be a slam dunk for admission. Then they will tell future students, "90% of the pre-med candidates endorsed by our school are admitted to med school". The future students hear 90% and don't go any further to realize that it is 90% of a particularly strong subset of applicants.

Wait until July. Go into your advisor with a realistic list of schools with UCONN at the top and other reasonable choices such as NYMC, Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Vermont and any other schools where you might be a good fit. If you have a realistic list, the advisor may realize that you won't be screwing with your undegrad institution's success rate by applying to just reach schools.

Reactions: 3 users
It sounds to me like this school is protecting its franchise by only endorsing those students it expects to be a slam dunk for admission. Then they will tell future students, "90% of the pre-med candidates endorsed by our school are admitted to med school". The future students hear 90% and don't go any further to realize that it is 90% of a particularly strong subset of applicants.

Wait until July. Go into your advisor with a realistic list of schools with UCONN at the top and other reasonable choices such as NYMC, Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Vermont and any other schools where you might be a good fit. If you have a realistic list, the advisor may realize that you won't be screwing with your undegrad institution's success rate by applying to just reach schools.

This.

Wait if your committee doesn't submit letters until Late August/September, then why don't you retake the MCAT in July and get your score back by August? When does the committee need your MCAT by to write you a letter?

I don't know how much of an issue it would be for a committee to be writing letters that late, but if it is from an Ivy, then I bet it is reputable enough that most med schools know about their practices.

Edit: I am at an Ivy as well but mine writes letters irrespective of MCAT. 32 is a high score for it to be a cutoff, damn.

If you have, or can make, enough time to study for the next few months, I would retake if I were you. Remember that MCAT is changing in 2015, and reapplying can be very tough: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/re-applicants-md-do.95/

On the positive side, if you were able to do very well on the MCAT, you may end up be in scholarship range given your GPA, and think of the schools you could apply to.

If you have, or can make, enough time to study for the next few months, I would retake if I were you. Remember that MCAT is changing in 2015, and reapplying can be very tough: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/re-applicants-md-do.95/

On the positive side, if you were able to do very well on the MCAT, you may end up be in scholarship range given your GPA, and think of the schools you could apply to.

Thank you for your advice!!

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your advice, really. This has all been so helpful. The other parts of my application are "fine" but I think a 9 especially in the Bio section will raise a lot of flags, and I'll be at school's knees to try and get a spot. My advisor hasn't replied to me, but even if he did or didn't endorse me, I think I'm going to pick up my books and study again one more time for this. I've come to terms with having to take another year off, but maybe it will be good for me in the long run. I'm going to take 3 months and take a Kaplan course. I was using TBR/SN2'ed somewhat, but doing it with school really didn't work and I should have taken advice from on here NOT to do that. I appreciate all the support!!

Just make sure you really nail the studying and if your average scores are not 34+, I would suggest not retaking it. You do NOT want to score lower on any sections. So basically you need to maintain or gain on the VR and PS and also gain on the BS. The 9 certainly isn't "bad", not ideal... but not bad. But if you score lower in either the VR or PS, they will assume that the first test was a fluke and that your second scores are more indicative of your expertise.

Just make sure you really nail the studying and if your average scores are not 34+, I would suggest not retaking it. You do NOT want to score lower on any sections. So basically you need to maintain or gain on the VR and PS and also gain on the BS. The 9 certainly isn't "bad", not ideal... but not bad. But if you score lower in either the VR or PS, they will assume that the first test was a fluke and that your second scores are more indicative of your expertise.

You said 34+ to retake -- would receiving an actual score such as 32+ on the retake be bad and meaningless? Getting a 34+ is a lot of pressure, although I'll try my best. During my practice exams, I never scored below a 10 on a section. I was mainly scoring 12s on my PS, 10-11 on my VR, and 10-11 on my BS. However, I took the practice exams over a month before my actual test and in between that time, I had a lot of stuff going on (writing my thesis, biochem finals, etc). I definitely felt like I was peaking with PS and if I could get over the hurdle of careless errors, I could consistently score well. I did most of the BR stuff except the Bio/Orgo (only did EK Bio and 60% of the 1001), and it really really helped my PS, so I thought my PS score would carry me. This time around, I'm going to give all the time in the world to the so I can't come out with an excuse if my score is bad. However, I can't gauge test day and I do get test anxiety, so even if I did score 34s on my practices, it's still not guaranteed.

Hey all...

Verdict is out: My advisor was actually extremely supportive and kind. He said that yes, a 29 may not be the most comforting score, but that he would still support/endorse me if I tried to apply this year. Or I could retake and have a stronger app next year.

I am more confused than ever. I'm not trying to go to a top 20 school, I'm just trying to get into a state school (I know I need to pull away from being so settled on UConn). Again, our committee letters don't get sent til Aug/Sep so applying early was not an advantage for me. Should I apply now or buckle down and take it again so I can have more options? I really would like to qualify for any scholarships if my MCAT is good (I know there aren't a lot). But I don't want to spend half a year in the unknown and possibly be waitlisted either.

Thank you!