Urgent - Can a letter have more than one signatory.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchywhit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously a letter must be assigned to an individual. But, for example, may a department chair's letter include the signature of others for the purposes of demonstrating a collective opinion on an applicant?

Thanks guys and gals!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, happens all the time for department letters.
So if there was another department than the one to which you were matching, with multiple people contributing, and it was submitted by that departments chair with multiple signatories, this would be ok? It is not my department chair’s letter. I don’t want to look like I’m trying to smoosh too many letter writers into a max 4. There is someone from this department that I would like to honor with a contribution, knows me extremely well, and has expressed interest in helping this outside department chair with his letter.

For residency and fellowship, I sent in a letter that was by 2 people (both of them have been research mentors, I did projects with them individually and as collaborations) specifically *because* there was a limit of 4 letters. No one is going to think you’re “cheating” if many people want to support your application.

Reactions: 1 user
For residency and fellowship, I sent in a letter that was by 2 people (both of them have been research mentors, I did projects with them individually and as collaborations) specifically *because* there was a limit of 4 letters. No one is going to think you’re “cheating” if many people want to support your application.

Exactly the answer/reasoning that I was hoping for. Can close this now. Thank you folks!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.