Urgent Care Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

five&two

Emergency Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an EM resident looking to start moonlighting in urgent care. What should I look for in a moonlighting gig? I've called a few placed and received several offers, not sure which one to pick.

-pay
-malpractice +tail
anything else I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad.

Go see the place in person. Make sure you know what resources are available when the poop hits. Some places don't have ventilators. Some places don't have sedatives for agitated patients that come in. Make sure it's safe to work there at night time.

You don't need ventilators or sedatives at an urgent care. When the poop hits the fan at an urgent care, you just dial 911.

Freestanding ER? Not so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the EMR. I moonlighted at one large hospital based UC and I spent a LOT more time struggling with the EMR than I did seeing patients. Now I work at another UC that uses velocidoc and it's great.

Agree with EM Junkie. At the UC we simply send any badness to the ED. Stress level near zero at the UC.

MS4 who applied to EM, just have a few questions. If you're program allows you to moonlight, can you not use the malpractice you get from there as coverage? Some programs I interviewed at said there are moonlighting oppurtunities but then explained it's essentially picking up extra shifts; is moonlighting externally similar to just doing more shifts at your home program? If you're moonlighting externally, do you have to report those hours to your PD so you don't go over 80/wk? Do you generally have to be an EM-3/4 to get opportunities?

Apparently I have trouble reading titles of threads. My advice was for freestandings.

If you're program allows you to moonlight, can you not use the malpractice you get from there as coverage?

Not if you moonlight at another facility

Some programs I interviewed at said there are moonlighting oppurtunities but then explained it's essentially picking up extra shifts

There are some places that have internal moonlighting---essentially picking up extra shifts. In that case, your program should continue to cover your malpractice.

If you're moonlighting externally, do you have to report those hours to your PD so you don't go over 80/wk?

Yes, moonlighting counts toward the ACGME hours cap

Do you generally have to be an EM-3/4 to get opportunities?

Yes

If you're moonlighting externally, do you have to report those hours to your PD so you don't go over 80/wk?
60 hrs is the limit in EM, not 80. Unless you're moonlighting while on your offservice months (bad idea). Elective months are ok though, since those are usually low-hours.