urgent care residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that a new Urgent Care residency was going to start in the future?
I know that EM, FP and IM physicians work in urgent care. So would these physicians lose their posts in working in Urgent Care?
Thanks
nev

Members don't see this ad.

nev said:
I know that EM, FP and IM physicians work in urgent care. So would these physicians lose their posts in working in Urgent Care?
Thanks
nev

Residency? Are you sure you dont mean fellowship? It would make more sense for it to be a fellowship of FM.

nev said:

Never heard of it. Doesn't make sense, either. Basically, urgent care is primary care without a prior appointment. Anyone with generalist training can work in urgent care. Family physicians can do a one-year fellowship in urgent care, but I honestly don't see the point.

Unless the point would be a business-oriented training in the management and administration of an urgent care center...

The Urgent Care Association of America does offer a one year fellowship in urgent care medicine. The first fellows entered the program at University Hospitals in Cleveland in 2006. The goal here is to give physiciains specific training in caring for higher acuity patients, occupational medicine patients, and the procedures that are common in urgent care centers.