Urgent - Gaps in Medical Education before graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedCar@

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I am an IMG from a Caribbean Medical School. I need guidance related to a topic that is giving me anxiety and is interrupting my mental ability to study for step I.

I took 1 semester off before finishing my last semester of basic sciences on 2017 to solve a very urgent situation in my family (life or death - suicidal brother) I did not have any other option. Then I solved the situation and finish my second year strong in the summer semester (option given at Ross University). My plan was to pass COMP and study for 3 months and given my COMP result of 205 and my residency choice psychiatry it was more than enough time to achieve a competitive score... but then life threw me a huge curve ball...

My country Puerto Rico was hit by 2 hurricanes interrupting completely my study period and putting me behind for almost 4 months. Puerto Rico was declared a disaster zone on October 7, 2017. Although I studied with the FA it was ineffective; I even decreased my score by 11 points, because w/o electricity, internet, water services is very, very hard to "effectively" study for Step I.

Another semester from Sept. to Jan. has passed and I re-started my USMLE Prep at the beginning of February, now with electricity, internet and the benefit of UWorld MCQ's. Now, here is the problem in order to pay for this services (UWorld and the Kaplan course) I've been working part-time because the financial situation after the hurricane has been devastating. It is taking me time to improve my score and based on my preparation plan I will be finishing UWorld by the end of June. I will take the Step I in July and continue to my Clerkships in September.

If you summed up everything we are talking about a Gap of aprox. 1 and 1/2 year before starting Clerkships. For those who understand the process of residency and have gone through it.

How can this affect me given the circumstances because to be realistic this is not the kind of gap for USMLE Study and Research?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about gap. Concentrate in getting a good score in step1. Plenty of applicants with gap in their application got matched. Your gap is legit.

Reactions: 1 user
This experience of overcoming adversity will bolster your application if anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Step1>everything

Truth.

I know one guy who struggled through first 2 years - took LoA for 1 whole year since he kept on pushing back test date. Scored a 250+. Despite a underwhelming 225 on Step2CK - he matched a University IM program.

Reactions: 1 user