Urgent help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javy2299

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG wishing to apply for neurosurgery residency. I would be happy if someone can tell me how many programs to apply for a fair chance. My scores are ok and application on a whole is not bad but I have no USCE. Kinldy opine soon as I have apply quickly. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

kindly help. i have send applications this week and i am yet to decide on the number of applications.
step 1 259/99
step 2 261/99
LOR s from home country
graduation year 2005
got one poster publication and trying to send one more this month. got some other unpublished research too
grades are around 3.5/5
and i dont mind anywhere in the usa.
pls help if u have any idea

I don't know what USCE is but as an IMG you should apply to many programs, perhaps 30-40, more if you do not seem to be getting interviews. You should go on as many interviews as you possibly can (although it is usually impossible to go on more than about 20 because of scheduling conflicts).

I would apply to places that have a history of taking IMGs. Check the individual program websites and see where there are currently IMG's training. No letters from U.S. physicians may be the biggest factor against you. Your USMLE scores are excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for helping in in this regard. I was very confused.

In the beginning I thought I would apply to 80 programs odd (excluding californian programs, programs who sponsor no visa and creamy ones). Now my list still has 70 odd. Dont know how to reduce them more.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances? I got a Observership in Cleveland Clinic Florida but didnt take it. Should I consider taking it now? Its just an observership.

Hey javy2299 ,
Just got into this forum coz i was running some neurosurgical search and i saw ur post which made me register to this forum. I'm a FMG, really wanting to apply for neurosurgical residency in USA. I am just as desperate as you sound in your post:).. Please tell me whether u could get through the residency. And if yes..please send me some advice.
And if anyone else can help me about apply for residency in neurosurgery...u're welcome...waiting.....

I don't know what USCE is

USCE = U.S. Clinical Experience

To the OP, I'm no expert in NS but from what I've read on SDN, it may be infinitely more difficult for you to get interviews without USCE despite your stellar USMLE scores. Letters of recommendation (LOR) are a vital part of the residency application process (esp for competitive fields).

The question is how will you secure your LOR's without USCE?

kindly help. i have send applications this week and i am yet to decide on the number of applications.
step 1 259/99
step 2 261/99
LOR s from home country
graduation year 2005
got one poster publication and trying to send one more this month. got some other unpublished research too
grades are around 3.5/5
and i dont mind anywhere in the usa.
pls help if u have any idea

Why do you want a U.S. neurosurg residency?