Urgent Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnpmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum. I need to cancel my step 3 exam and have already extended my window. I was wondering if need to cancel with prometric beforehand, so I can reapply for another window? Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Before you can schedule an appointment in your extended eligibility period, you must cancel any existing testing dates AND pay any appointment change fees. Your extended eligibility period will not show in Prometric’s system and Prometric will not allow you to schedule a new testing date until this is done.

If you have not already canceled your previous appointment and paid the change fees, you MUST do the following:

1. Call Prometric at 1-800-853-6769 to pay any appointment change fees.
  2. After you have paid the fee, send an email to [email protected] so your extended eligibility period can be resent to Prometric. Include the following in your email:
    • Subject line: “Resend Eligibility”
    • Message text: your full name, USMLE ID Number, and exam name (Step 3)
  3. You will receive a response from NBME within two business days. After you receive confirmation from NBME that your extended eligibility period has been resent, you can contact Prometric to schedule a new appointment.
Refer to the instructions on the scheduling permit to schedule your test dates. Please be aware that appointments are first-come, first-served, and test centers fill up quickly. Therefore, you are advised to schedule a test date quickly.

We strongly encourage you to print your scheduling permit well in advance of your scheduled test dates to avoid any problems with accessing your permit on your test dates. At the test center, you may present a printed copy of your permit or present it electronically (via your phone). Please note that if you are unable to access the permit electronically at the test center, for any reason, you will not be allowed to test unless you can present a paper copy of the permit in its place. Therefore, we recommend that you bring a paper copy of your permit with you to the test center even if you do not plan to use it.

You must also present an unexpired, government-issued ID (such as a driver's license or passport) that includes a recent photograph and signature. The name on your ID must match exactly the name on your scheduling permit.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at (817) 868-4041 or via e-mail at [email protected] if we can be of assistance.

It was confusing for me too. I called them and have it done over the phone. It still took a couple of days before I scheduled my next exam.

Last edited: