What are the consequences of a failed Step 3 while in Residency, urgent!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centroles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am starting residency July 1st and I am about to take my step 3.

I honestly don't feel fully prepared yet. I don't know if I will pass or not. I can't extend the deadline again or reschedule.

So worst case scenario, what happens if I fail the Step 3?

Do residency programs typically put interns on probation or make them take extra courses or anything of that sort for a Step 3 failure? Or do most residency programs not do anything if a person fails the Step 3 once, before they even started?

Please help me ease my tension. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am starting residency July 1st and I am about to take my step 3.

I honestly don't feel fully prepared yet. I don't know if I will pass or not. I can't extend the deadline again or reschedule.

So worst case scenario, what happens if I fail the Step 3?

Do residency programs typically put interns on probation or make them take extra courses or anything of that sort for a Step 3 failure? Or do most residency programs not do anything if a person fails the Step 3 once, before they even started?

Please help me ease my tension. Thanks.

you are in residency already, so nothing can go wrong and nothing will happen to you if you fail. some programs( find out the policy in yours) require or advice to pass step 3 before going to PGY 3 and some programs before PGY2, find out what your program requires.
as a general rule, sometimes it is better to loose that money than failing( you cant erase that one from your records my friend!) and step 3 during residency can be easier( unless you are in something else than IM and not even then, because of all the clinical experience you acquire, but... ad i say this from experience( i took it this past january) having step 3 on your head during residency can be stressfull for some people as you dont have time to study for the other specialties you are not involved in and yes, you could study and pass it on your vacation, but wheres the fun in that eh? lol, for some people, it is easier.
figure out what your future goals are and think all through, you may pass( its not that hard of a test really). but if you fail and have ambitious goals in the future (GI, cardio etc, are you an FMG,) this can be used as an excuse to discard you in the future, or it may not.
There are endless possibilities to this dilemma, but in general, for your residency a fail in step 3 or a low score will not mean anything as far as i know.
good luck!:)