Urgent Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontraditional premed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 27 year old non traditional student. I need some advice on getting into DO school. Here is a quick breakdown of my situation. I made a 2.64 gpa during undergrad majoring in biochemistry and minor in criminal justice. The reason for my low gpa was that I almost died from a tonsillectomy lost thirty percent of blood and weighed 65 pounds. I had 2 post operations that saved my life. After graduating I decided to gt a masters in psychology emphasis in counseling. And made a 3.75 gpa. I decided to do a post Bach and currently have a 3.72 gpa of 15 credit hours. However after calculating my cumulative gpa I have a 3.0 and my science gpa is 2.65 even after the retakes. I need some advice on increasing my science gpa or any part of my gpa for that matter fast!!! Sorry for the misspellings I am on a 1st gen iPad I can't skip around.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. God bless we are all human!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Since DO schools do grade replacement, have you retaken any of the classes that you did poorly in during undergrad? That would definitely bring up your undergrad GPA.

However after calculating my cumulative gpa I have a 3.0 and my science gpa is 2.65 even after the retakes.

How can your science GPA only have gone up by 1/100 after retakes? Did you average them together or replace them? Or did you do that badly on the retakes?

Members don't see this ad :)
My science gpa and cumulative gpa were a lot lower . The retakes of post baching of 15 hrs at 3.75 and masters program gpa of 3.75 did raise my cumulative gpa from 2.64 to 3.00. My science gpa did go up from 2.23 (estimate) to 2.64. It was simply a lot lower than a 2.64. I am starting to lose hope but I keep on giving it all I got. Please any advice will greatly help. I am going to retake my biology 2 and lab, but even after it would leave me at a 2.85 science and that is to say if I make a 4.0 in both courses.

Also, I can't give much but at the bottom of my heart I would like to thank all readers and those who reply. Also, if anyone is reading this, I would like to say don't freaking rush in and take courses if u are experiencing a physical issue or if your heart is simply not in it. If I knew back then what I know now, I would have taken a semester off to recoup my health before starting the semester.

Last edited:
Nontraditional premed,

The numbers you are quoting sounds like you are averaging the new science grades with the old. A previous poster let you know that DO schools will allow you to replace any new grades for the old grades in the same course...so gives u a new sgpa that is much better than just averaging. I didn't get the sense that you had heard that and we're integrating that into your thinking. Is that something you knew already or is that new info for you?

I noticed that the title of your post and the tone was one of urgency, pressure, and not sure if you would get help you were desperately hoping for. Your last paragraph does acknowledge that those sorts of feelings had you rush in to schooling too fast without enough research to create a solid plan for success. Did you find out at the time what GPA you needed for med or what the drop dates were on courses etc without penalty? I am highlighting this because with this post you are now rushing again despite acknowledging that your tendency to rush has not worked for you in the past.

What's the rush? See if you can gather this information you need now in a less pressured way. Maybe ask for help to know of resources to find out information if you can't think of where to get help...like career counselling offices or good books to know the process better....see if there is more you can learn and create a more solid footing for yourself by going slow....that will feel like more support.

Nontraditional premed,

The numbers you are quoting sounds like you are averaging the new science grades with the old. A previous poster let you know that DO schools will allow you to replace any new grades for the old grades in the same course...so gives u a new sgpa that is much better than just averaging. I didn't get the sense that you had heard that and we're integrating that into your thinking. Is that something you knew already or is that new info for you?

I noticed that the title of your post and the tone was one of urgency, pressure, and not sure if you would get help you were desperately hoping for. Your last paragraph does acknowledge that those sorts of feelings had you rush in to schooling too fast without enough research to create a solid plan for success. Did you find out at the time what GPA you needed for med or what the drop dates were on courses etc without penalty? I am highlighting this because with this post you are now rushing again despite acknowledging that your tendency to rush has not worked for you in the past.

What's the rush? See if you can gather this information you need now in a less pressured way. Maybe ask for help to know of resources to find out information if you can't think of where to get help...like career counselling offices or good books to know the process better....see if there is more you can learn and create a more solid footing for yourself by going slow....that will feel like more support.

Thank You, oldanddone, yes the new gpa was after replacement. I learned my lesson the first time and decided to take it slow during post baching. My next question is will taking it slow impact my application in anyway in relationship to courses taken per semester? For example, If I decide to take two classes or even 3 per semester? Instead of say 12 hours.

You should also get your gpa/sgpa >3.0 before applying. Applying below 3.0 when retakes are allowed is not a succesful plan

Applicants should note that your GPA will be seen in slices as the image below shows: So if you have had a bad early GPA but then have some stellar graduate work and post bacc, it will be seen by Adcoms. My point to this is that you shouldnt be completely discouraged

AACOMAS_GPA_GRID.JPG
I feel a little better after reading your post. But for some reason, I believe I am just afraid that adcoms will decide not to look past my early horrid grades instead of seeing me as a changed individual in terms of work ethic. Also, thanks for posting the grade breakdown chart for us go gonnif you rock!!!!

At least some schools look for a full course load to see that you can handle academic pace of med school. Not sure about whether that is all schools or if some take into consideration juggling other obligations like a job etc. You will need to look into that by researching/calling some admissions offices. All the more important to start a heavy course load by preparing slowly and methodically to best handle it. Whether prestudying or just making sure the agenda is cleared up otherwise so as to have all energy focused.

All the best. Make sure you access and find as many resources as possible.

Reactions: 1 user