Advice needed (potentially urgent?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raybae69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My sister's boyfriend graduated in December 2007 with a degree in Computer Engineering (cGPA 3.12). Due to instability in his field, he has finally decided to pursue medicine after much thought. He is a TX resident, and URM. After speaking to him, the only pre-requisite courses he has under his belt are just Gen Chem and Physics. These courses were taken back in 2004 and 2005 respectively.

Should he just go back to school and finish out the rest of his pre-reqs? Or would a post-bacc program be more ideal? Although I am not entirely sure, I think the deadline for applying to a post-bacc program is tonight at midnight (hence the urgency).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think a post-bac is unnecessary. With a 3.12 cGPA, a realistic battle plan looks like acing the remaining pre-reqs, leveraging grade replacement, killing the MCAT and applying wide DO. That's a lot of work for more stability which may be undermined by the legislative storm swirling over American healthcare. Also, Computer Engineering looks stable, albeit stagnant, to me.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm

Just my .02.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Looks like he will finish taking the rest of his pre-reqs without a formal post-bacc program.

Gotta love SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to medical school in your early 30s because your 10 year career in computer engineering lacks job security says a tremendous deal about your skills and worth as a engineer and does not bode well for your success in medicine. If you do go back, you will need to take all pre read again. 12 year old pre reqs are long forgotten and worthless.

Before you all bash him, he had a very high position in upper management before being laid off. Those jobs simply just are not available often. I have known this individual for a good portion of my life, and I must say he is one of the brightest men I know personally in my life. I am pre-med as well and currently preparing for an upcoming interview, but even I will admit that he is much smarter than me and has great potential to be a physician some day. His GPA is low due to very unfortunate circumstances that required him to leave school without any form of grade forgiveness.

As far as the thread title goes, I will remove the "potentially urgent" part.

Please do not judge his character without knowing the details. :)

Going to medical school in your early 30s because your 10 year career in computer engineering lacks job security says a tremendous deal about your skills and worth as a engineer and does not bode well for your success in medicine. If you do go back, you will need to take all pre read again. 12 year old pre reqs are long forgotten and worthless.

Yeah, I was thinking about this. He might need some more recent course work to prove he can handle the rigor. It's even stated on TCOM's website that taking part-time classes is looked down upon. I vote for post-bac, but that's my opinion.

Going into medicine for money is the wrong approach from the start and setting him up for failure. Telling an adcom you want to go into medicine for financial security is probably worse than saying you want to be a doctor so you can ask people to disrobe.