Urgent - Need help with Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VJVJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I need help with ranking the following programs. I am thinking about doing interventional in future. Want to stay in academics with reasonable amount of research in future. Please advise.

Following are given in random order
1. Beth Israel Deaconess
2 University of Virginia
3. University of Massachusetts
4. RUSH University
5. University of Kentucky
6. University of Arkansas
7. Northshore/LIJ, New York
8. University of Missouri-Columnia
9. Saint Louis University
10. Albert Einstein network, Philadelphia

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts vs UAB?

Depends on whether you want to be in a big city or B'Ham. Tufts does not have a very active cath lab compared to UAB. The clinical training at UAB is definitely stronger. Tufts may have more research going on..

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on whether you want to be in a big city or B'Ham. Tufts does not have a very active cath lab compared to UAB. The clinical training at UAB is definitely stronger. Tufts may have more research going on..

Thank you. I wonder what are your thoughts on Vandy vs UAB.

I would really appreciate a genuine opinion..

Last edited:
I thought Tufts had a stronger clinical program in terms of lots of complicated heart failure and transplant. But, I am not sure of the cath lab..are numbers a problem?

Same q from my side. I am in the same dilemma

I thought Tufts had a stronger clinical program in terms of lots of complicated heart failure and transplant. But, I am not sure of the cath lab..are numbers a problem?

IMHO Tufts has a very good clinical program. You're right their HF program is quite good, in fact the fellows at BID (where the HF is pretty weak) go to Tufts for their rotations. As for cath numbers... I think almost all the Boston programs have low numbers, and I think this is more a consequence of too many programs in such a small geographic area. I'll also mention that Tufts has a fairly decent EP program as well.

Tufts is well known for their HF and transplant programs.

After much deliberation, I think Vandy stands out the best of these 3 programs..What's other's opinion on this?

I agree..Vandy is the best..But the chances of matching there r slim..I am an international grad and vandy hasnt taken 1 international grad in last 10 yrs..
Therefore I was looking at UAB vs Tufts where if at all i have more realistic chance of matching

I agree..Vandy is the best..But the chances of matching there r slim..I am an international grad and vandy hasnt taken 1 international grad in last 10 yrs..
Therefore I was looking at UAB vs Tufts where if at all i have more realistic chance of matching

Talk to Sandeep Goyal or Parvez Babar at Vanderbilt.

IMHO
for EP UAB >>Vanderbilt
for cath vanderbilt > UAB
for HF uab>vanderbilt
for imaging uab>vanderbilt
for prevention uab >> vanderbilt
for research vanderbilt >> UAB
infrastructure-wise vanderbilt > uab
national reputation uab=vanderbilt

If you consider having FMGs a negative sign,
Vanderbilt > UAB

I think that is pretty awesome summary given by you.
I agree completely. I am an international graduate myself and I dont care if a program take IMGs or not.

I was wondering if you could comment on such comparison between UAB and Tufts. What is your opinion on that.

Thank you once again for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if you care about having a more cosmopolitan population, Vandy may trump UAB since Nashville has a lot of transplants from other placed (plus the university I think is bigger than UAB probably). EP is probably better at UAB. the cath lab is probably better @Vanderbilt.
Vanderbilt does not have many IMG's. They I think have had fellows paid for in the past by foreign countries, who were IMG's, but they were not matched through the regular match. I'm not sure if they are still doing that.

I think that is pretty awesome summary given by you.
I agree completely. I am an international graduate myself and I dont care if a program take IMGs or not.

I was wondering if you could comment on such comparison between UAB and Tufts. What is your opinion on that.

Thank you once again for your help

I think that boils down to whether you would like to live in Boston. In all sense UAB>> Tufts and the clinical training you will get at UAB will be unparralleled. In the post above I have favored Vandy over UAB. However, I have spent time at both places and will say that the clinical end product that comes out of UAB may actually be better. Its just that no one wants to live in Birmingham; hence UAB's recruitment suffers (similar to a certain world-famous hospital in Minnesota). My disclosure is that I have done a part of my medical training at both institutions- UAB and Vandy.

Would you like to live in Boston which is an infinitely better city with a chip on your shoulder that the program you are training at is quite good but is the fifth best training program in the city or would you like to be at an outstanding clinical program in a ghetto??

Last edited:
Thank you Guys..
One last q...
How will u rank these..
Utah, Louisville, Oklahoma, Drexel, Vermont

Thank you

Thank you Guys..
One last q...
How will u rank these..
Utah, Louisville, Oklahoma, Drexel, Vermont

Thank you

Program strength
1. Louisville (esp for heart failure)
2. Oklahoma
3. Drexel
4. Vermont

2. Louisville
3. Oklahoma
4. Vermont

Likelihood of finding a significant other that is not inbred:
1. Drexel
2. Vermont
3. Oklahoma
4. Louisville

p diddy

Hi Friends,
I need help with ranking the following programs. I am thinking about doing interventional in future. Want to stay in academics with reasonable amount of research in future. Please advise.

Following are given in random order
1. Beth Israel Deaconess
2 University of Virginia
3. University of Massachusetts
4. RUSH University
5. University of Kentucky
6. University of Arkansas
7. Northshore/LIJ, New York
8. University of Missouri-Columnia
9. Saint Louis University
10. Albert Einstein network, Philadelphia

1. BID (I am assuming this is the Harvard program not New York)
2. UVA
3. Rush
4. UMASS
5. UK
6. UMC
7. SLU
8. UARK
9. AE Philly
10. Northshore

p diddy

After visiting Tufts, I can definitely say that it has a very strong clinical program. I am probably ranking it above UAB not just because of the city. The overall vibe was much friendly there and I think clinical training is prob similar if not better than uab. Which one has a better national reputation?

UAB, though Tufts does have a good reputation. This is counterbalanced by living deliverance style in Alabama.

p diddy

Rush above UMass?

yes. excellent clinical program and a fair amount of research goes on there, on par with UMASS. also well situated and no dearth of jobs nearby.

p diddy

yes. excellent clinical program and a fair amount of research goes on there, on par with UMASS. also well situated and no dearth of jobs nearby.

p diddy

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply friends...
VJ

Thank you so much for the reply. How would Rush compare to Ochsner clinic?

This reply may be too late, but while I've heard good things about the clinical training at Ochsner, it really doesn't have a reputation for research.

Rush research >Ochsner; Ochsner clinical >= Rush.

But the Cubs really suck.

p diddy

This reply may be too late, but while I've heard good things about the clinical training at Ochsner, it really doesn't have a reputation for research.

Rush research >Ochsner; Ochsner clinical >= Rush.

But the Cubs really suck.

p diddy

Oschsner is really very good clinically, but is the cath lab there as malignant people claim it is?

Program strength
1. Louisville (esp for heart failure)
2. Oklahoma
3. Drexel
4. Vermont

2. Louisville
3. Oklahoma
4. Vermont

Likelihood of finding a significant other that is not inbred:
1. Drexel
2. Vermont
3. Oklahoma
4. Louisville

p diddy

LOL!! This is going on my slide!

all the very best for the match everyone....
VJ