URGENT!!! NYMC vs UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayladb

Reaction score
URM student here looking for some advice. I’ve been fortunate enough to have more than one choice.

I was offered a 30K yearly scholarship from NYMC and a 45K scholarship from UVM but they do have a slightly higher tuition.

I’m looking to go somewhere with a diverse student body and with support from faculty and admin.

Any current students are welcome to chime in about their experiences. I really want to know about academic support, research opportunities, and about the curriculum.

I know both schools have P/F preclinical but I also saw UVM has P/F clinicals while NYMC has a tiered pass system. How significant is this when choosing?

My immediate family and SO lives in VA so NYMC is closer and I also have some extended family that lives in the city.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My deadline to respond is today or else I lose the NYMC scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UVM is the more reputable institution, and it has its own integrated health system with 41 sponsored GME programs.

NYMC has a network of clinical affiliates and sponsors 25 GME programs.

Total NIH funding was about $56 million for UVM versus about $6 million for NYMC.

If I were you I'd head to Burlington.

Reactions: 2 users
UVM is the more reputable institution, and it has its own integrated health system with 41 sponsored GME programs.

NYMC has a network of clinical affiliates and sponsors 25 GME programs.

Total NIH funding was about $56 million for UVM versus about $6 million for NYMC.

If I were you I'd head to Burlington.

Thanks for your response. I have seen a lot of advice about staying nearer to family for school. NYMC is only 4 hours from my family while UVM is more than 8 hours. Do you think the reputation and benefits of UVM outweigh being closer to family at NYMC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response. I have seen a lot of advice about staying nearer to family for school. NYMC is only 4 hours from my family while UVM is more than 8 hours. Do you think the reputation and benefits of UVM outweigh being closer to family at NYMC?
That depends entirely on the dynamics of your family. Some people have loving, supportive families that are great to have nearby. Others are better off being as far away as possible. Once school starts you will be super busy. If your family is expecting to see you frequently then being further away may play to your advantage, as it makes it easier to decline when necessary.

I will say that even with the shorter 4 hours at NYMC it's not like you're going to be dropping by spontaneously for a home-cooked meal. For most people this would boil down to the relative inconvenience of a half-day versus full-day drive between semesters and around some holidays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users