urgent - plz help :( bad, bad start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yumm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started taking pre-req courses at a public university this semester, but due to a personal problem, I pretty much haven't done any work for the first four weeks!!! I also missed quite a few lectures and some tests.
I'm registered for Biology I, Biology I lab, General Chemistry I, Physics I and Calculus I.
They are all 3 credits each except the lab, which is 1 credit.
Drop and Add deadline has passed long ago.
Withdrawal deadline to get Ws on the transcript is about a month from now.
The impression I got from these classes so far:
Bio and Chem: lots of memorization ugh...
Calculus: ... I'm kinda lost :(

I want to know which one of the two options below I should pursue at this point...

1. Withdraw from all the classes and get Ws for all.
Then transfer to another school, which started a week later than this school, and quickly sign up for Bio I, Bio lab, Algebra, & English (These ones are the only pre-reqs still available for this semester) and try to catch up!!!

2. Withdraw from only Physics now (and maybe either from Calc or Bio lab, too, I don't know yet.) and see how it goes until the Withdraw deadline...
My Bio and Chem teachers are very understanding and willing to help me out with this.
The Bio prof says I can take the missed test by the end of the semester. The final isn't cumulative, which is a relief. Chem teacher can even give me an 'Incomplete' grade at the end, which will turn into a letter grade next semester after I complete missed work. I am trying to work out similar things with Calculus and Bio lab... but haven't exactly got the answers from the profs.
---
If I choose the second 'stay put' option and end up withdrawing from all classes in a month anyways, I can transfer to another school for their second half of the semester to take some classes in the areas of Math and Physics. They probably unfortunately won't count as pre-reqs but are useful in terms of review... plus Humanities...

What do you guys think? Or any new ideas? I feel awful about making this mess.
Thank you in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I started taking pre-req courses at a public university this semester, but due to a personal problem, I pretty much haven't done any work for the first four weeks!!! I also missed quite a few lectures and some tests.
You should have dealt with this immediately. Missing a lecture here or there is one thing; missing a test? you should have spoken to the Profs immediately

The impression I got from these classes so far:
Bio and Chem: lots of memorization ugh...
Calculus: ... I'm kinda lost :(
Welcome to science; guess what medical school is going to be like when you have to memorize every cranial nerve (12 of them, plus two substantial subdivisions, so 14 total), the hole in the skull it exits from, whether its sensory or motor, where it travels to, and what it innervates. Oh and blood vessels that run near it. Intro bio has 0 memorization compared to this.
Put on your big boy pants and get to work

I want to know which one of the two options below I should pursue at this point...

1. Withdraw from all the classes and get Ws for all.
Then transfer to another school, which started a week later than this school, and quickly sign up for Bio I, Bio lab, Algebra, & English (These ones are the only pre-reqs still available for this semester) and try to catch up!!!
This might be a contender for the dumbest idea ever posted on this board. Not only would you have a transcript full of Ws, then you would also prob get a transcript full of Ds and maybe Cs. That would destroy your chances of medical school. Do not do this.

2. Withdraw from only Physics now (and maybe either from Calc or Bio lab, too, I don't know yet.) and see how it goes until the Withdraw deadline...
My Bio and Chem teachers are very understanding and willing to help me out with this.
The Bio prof says I can take the missed test by the end of the semester. The final isn't cumulative, which is a relief. Chem teacher can even give me an 'Incomplete' grade at the end, which will turn into a letter grade next semester after I complete missed work. I am trying to work out similar things with Calculus and Bio lab... but haven't exactly got the answers from the profs.
Do this based on that you have said thus far - sounds like your profs are far more accommodating than I would have expected them to be

If I choose the second 'stay put' option and end up withdrawing from all classes in a month anyways, I can transfer to another school for their second half of the semester to take some classes in the areas of Math and Physics. They probably unfortunately won't count as pre-reqs but are useful in terms of review... plus Humanities...
It doesn't like you need to withdraw in the 2nd option, if you start studying hard now. If you need to do the pre-reqs, who gives a flying f*** about the humanities?

Do option 2, do no withdraw, work your ass off to get every point now that you can get and work with faculty

Are you actually able to put the work in right now? Take a deep breath. Have you addressed the issue that caused all of these problems? Is it actually over, or is this something that is going to come back and cause more problems? Are you physically/financially/emotionally able to study right now?

If you have to withdraw this semester because you can't do the work, you have to withdraw. It's not the end of the world. But if you get a semester full of D's/F's? That's much worse then a semester full of W's. Essentially, in order to do well enough to justify continuing the courses, you are going to have to work AT LEAST 33% more than a regular student, and it sounds like you aren't prepared for even normal amounts of work and study. Do you really think you will be able to put forth this kind of effort? Be honest with yourself.

Imagine yourself with a shovel in a hole. Right now, you've dug yourself in pretty nicely, and you need to figure out how to get out of it. The worst thing you can do is keep digging when you're not sure which direction you're headed in.

I would suggest definitely NOT re-enrolling in a different school to take these classes after withdrawing. If you choose to withdraw from all of your classes, DO NOT enroll in more this semester. Take the time to focus yourself and get ready for your next semester. Become a gunner and study the materials on your own so you can get a better grasp of the subject.

I would withdraw from the classes that will not allow you to make up what you have missed - you will not be able to catch up enough to justify your final grade. Especially in Bio Lab - if you aren't able to make up the experiments, you are sunk. However, it sounds like your bio and chem professors are willing to help you - TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS. My suggestion, if you really think you are able to focus on classes now and won't have more troubles later on this semester, is to withdraw from the classes that can't/won't work with you, and focus on the ones where you can fix the damage.

However, if you cannot give your full attention and abilities to this semester, I suggest withdrawing until you can.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out!

Drop all classes now. Regroup and replan. Stop scrambling. It is what it is.

Your professors are being nice, and they're giving you opportunities, which would be great if it were just one class. You can't salvage a lost month for a big class load.

You can't just pass the prereqs - you have to learn the material. Your professors can't help you with the MCAT.

Neither of your two options sets you up to succeed.

Best of luck to you.