Urgent question: dual apply vascular surgery and gen surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatefeather

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Just wondering, when dual applying vascular surgery and gen surg, I heard that we are not supposed to apply for both gen surg and vascular surg at the same hospital. Could anyone share some opinions on this? Or is it we are not supposed to go interview for both programs at the same place but applying is OK? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It is more the former rather than the latter. Applying to both at the same place can lead to the programs finding out you applied to both. Vascular wants to know it’s vascular and that’s it. They are not fans of double mindedness.

Similarly, General Surgery does not want to waste time interviewing applicants who are only applying to general surgery as a 'back-up'.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From the Vascular perspective, we don't want to interview anyone not SURE they want to go into vascular surgery. Our programs typically have room for one spot per year, so if there is a resident that quits... it can hurt the program very much. Wouldn't mix your applications or letters between the two specialties.

Reactions: 2 users
From the Vascular perspective, we don't want to interview anyone not SURE they want to go into vascular surgery. Our programs typically have room for one spot per year, so if there is a resident that quits... it can hurt the program very much. Wouldn't mix your applications or letters between the two specialties.
Thanks SKWang. Have not had any vascular exposure yet, do you really love what you do? I heard the pt. Are some of the sickest and reimbursements are not the best. Any cool toys/procedures specifically for vascular?

Reimbursement if not a problem in Vascular. Recent poll by Doximity in 2018 showed that mean salary for Vascular Surgery ranked 4th of all specialties (behind, NSG, TCV, and Ortho). Doximity 2018 Physician Compensation Report

I love what we do; it's a field where you can operated all over the body on a daily basis. We offer both open and endovascular interventions so there is so much variety. Being plugged into the endovascular world, we have access to all kinds of thrombectomy, atherectomy, thrombolysis, etc devices along with stents, EVARs, TEVARs. It's very challenging and rewarding. We work very closely with industry to bring these devices to the patient. I find that vascular seems to attract medical students with an engineering background or have interest in physics.

There is no doubt we have some of the sickest patients in the hospital. However, that is something I love because its challenging. I never wanted to go into medicine to be a technician - I want to be challenged every day. If you do as well, then you may like our field.

Reactions: 1 users
Reimbursement if not a problem in Vascular. Recent poll by Doximity in 2018 showed that mean salary for Vascular Surgery ranked 4th of all specialties (behind, NSG, TCV, and Ortho). Doximity 2018 Physician Compensation Report

I love what we do; it's a field where you can operated all over the body on a daily basis. We offer both open and endovascular interventions so there is so much variety. Being plugged into the endovascular world, we have access to all kinds of thrombectomy, atherectomy, thrombolysis, etc devices along with stents, EVARs, TEVARs. It's very challenging and rewarding. We work very closely with industry to bring these devices to the patient. I find that vascular seems to attract medical students with an engineering background or have interest in physics.

There is no doubt we have some of the sickest patients in the hospital. However, that is something I love because its challenging. I never wanted to go into medicine to be a technician - I want to be challenged every day. If you do as well, then you may like our field.
Thank you, can I pm you? I have another question.