(Urgent) Taking 2 classes with all exams on the same days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolpremed22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need to decide by today. Two of my classes (orgo and physiology) have *all* of their exams on the exact same days. Should I drop physiology and take it later? It isn't a requirement for my major but I'm taking it to help with MCAT studying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends.

What does the rest of your schedule look like - will you be able to devote a whole week prior for both of these courses? How good are you at time management?

If you answered either of those questions negatively, I’d look into dropping one or the other. Physiology is likely the better choice because chances are that ochem is a prerequisite for your other major-related courses and physiology is not.
If not, you’ll probably be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this even a problem? Most exams tend to be clustered around narrow windows...it's not uncommon to have 2 or even more exams on the same day.

It should be fine. I'd personally be wary if the courses were directly successive (as in, physiology 8-9 and then ochem 9-10), because that leaves no time for mental transition, break, or last-minute review. If the courses have a couple hours between them, though, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. It may also matter if ochem or physiology is first... my brain usually felt relatively nonfunctional for a half-hour following ochem exams, and I never felt that way about other courses (well, maybe physics once or twice :p )

Why is this even a problem? Most exams tend to be clustered around narrow windows...it's not uncommon to have 2 or even more exams on the same day.
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy or something, the way people are reacting.

If it was me, I wouldn't think this is a problem. I once took 3 final exams in the same date and I was fine.
Also, as I took 18 semester hours in many semesters, it's very common to have two exams on the same date.
I got used to it. I never thought it would be a problem, but you should decide this by yourself according to your own ability and schedule.

BTW, good time management strategy can deal with all these kinds of issues perfectly.

I wouldn't worry; I'm actually in the exact same position for o. chem and genetics this semester! But I was able to handle anatomy and gen. chem on the same days a couple times last year. It actually feels so nice afterwards, kind of like killing two birds with one stone. As long as you're able to split the studying time as evenly as needed, don't worry.

Thanks for the responses guys but I ended up finding a different section that resolves this problem! It's at 8 AM though :(

Ouch, I'd happily take a handful of double-duty exam days over an entire semester of 8 AMs :laugh: