URGENT: UCSF Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

UCSBPre-Med

I was filling out my UCSF secondary that I received yesterday (Finally!) and I noticed that there aren't any additional questions or essays needed unless you're applying for the MSTP program or the JMP program, or applying as disadvantaged.

Am I totally going crazy here, or am I just reading this wrong? Can anyone who's filled it out help me?

Members don't see this ad.

nope, just send it in.

it is a sweet secondary :)

Thanks, man.

One more question though.

Okay, I'm African-American and I grew up in a middle class neighborhood. When I filled out my AMCAS app, I did not specify that I wanted to be identified as socioeconomically disadvantaged.

Do you think that will hurt my chances of getting in, because I did not say that I wanted to be given special considerations? I still want to be known as African-American, and I want that to show on my application, its a part of who I am. DO you think that I made a mistake when filling out my AMCAS application, souljah?

By the way, how's SF? I hope I get in!:D

I do not think it will hurt you at all. They don't look for people to be socially disadvantaged. That has been flying around this forum a little bit and it is far from the truth. There is a lot of hating going on when it comes to certain application evaluations, and most of it is being done by people who are pretty much clueless about the process.

What they do look for are people who are comfortable with themselves and have a strong sense of self. I have noticed that the majority of my classmates all are incredibly interesting people, and word has it that the admissions committee thinks that personal maturity and unique experiences are very important aspects of the application. This doesn't mean you can have a low gpa and mcat and manage, but it does mean that a high gpa and high mcat are not gaurantees.

Be yourself! I am sure that you will do fine. I love it here so far. I've lived in SF before, so I was glad to come back. As far as the school goes, I have not been let down in anyway so far. Prologue was very manageable and fair. Now, we are in the organs block (cardiovascular to be specific) and it is incredibly interesting. We are deep into ECGs, arrythmias, etc. I am loving it.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to pm me.

Get that secondary in (and don't forget to send the LORs). If you are requested to interview, you probably won't hear anything before 2-3 weeks. Peak interview season is now through february. Plenty of time left my friend.

souljah