Urgent-Will dropping one class hurt?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liveandlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior
Bio major/premed

The classes i'm taking right now are
Organic chem +Lab
Physics+lab
Genetics Honors+lab
Anthropology Honors

i'm struggling with Genetics and I am afraid I am not gonna do well on it..The professor is not clear on things and the class is very very time consuming..I am thinking I should drop the lecture and just keep the lab

p.s. With every lab there is a lab lecture "two classes that count as one" and there is also a class lecture "for the class not the lab" so each class is really 3 classes that count as two

I am just afraid that dropping from 17 to 14 hours will make my med school application look bad

I also am only taking 12 hours in the spring because I am planning to take the MCAT in the spring as well (I will only earn about 24 credit hours in two semesters)

Do you think dropping the class is a good idea? any reccomendations? I don't wanna drop but i'm a fraid if I keep my class, my GPA suffers

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dropping while you have the chance is certainly better than doing poorly in te class. Personally I don't see it making or breaking your app assuming you're an overall competitive applicant.

I'd sit down and acually figure out your current average in the class and then work out what you have to get on future tests to get a certain grade in the course and then decide whether or not to drop.

I feel like no adcomm has given 2c about my courseload so far. Drop your class and have fun or man up and get a good grade. Either way, keep your GPA up, but even then, worry about that less and worry more about doing cool, interesting stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dropping while you have the chance is certainly better than doing poorly in te class. Personally I don't see it making or breaking your app assuming you're an overall competitive applicant.

I'd sit down and acually figure out your current average in the class and then work out what you have to get on future tests to get a certain grade in the course and then decide whether or not to drop.

I have taken the first quiz and I mad an 80 on it
the first exam is after the drop date so I can't afford to wait until the first exam

The problem is that even though I read before class and review the material after class, I still feel so lost in that class..I basically have to read each and every chapter twice and do tons of questions and even then the professor still loses me in the middle of the lecture

the class is honors not regular so we are moving a little faster than other classes and the professor is not helping at all

I feel like no adcomm has given 2c about my courseload so far. Drop your class and have fun or man up and get a good grade. Either way, keep your GPA up, but even then, worry about that less and worry more about doing cool, interesting stuff.

I have about two years of research experience, I am a volunteer at hospice, I have 250 hospital hours and I've shadowed two doctors so far

so you think the course load won't look bad if I were drop Genetics?

"Drop your class and have fun or man up and get a good grade."
I am a woman! lol

I have taken the first quiz and I mad an 80 on it
the first exam is after the drop date so I can't afford to wait until the first exam

The problem is that even though I read before class and review the material after class, I still feel so lost in that class..I basically have to read each and every chapter twice and do tons of questions and even then the professor still loses me in the middle of the lecture

the class is honors not regular so we are moving a little faster than other classes and the professor is not helping at all

Ah, I see your problem: it's all not your fault.

Genetics is raping me at the moment as well...... I'm gonna fight through for now.

I'm getting tired of all the threads with Urgent in the title to find out it's a competitive applicant with a question that can be answered within a week's time.

If it hurts, your application was pretty bad to start with.

I'm getting tired of all the threads with Urgent in the title to find out it's a competitive applicant with a question that can be answered within a week's time.
Or asking something that's been answered about 763 times. I counted.

You can always tell it's a fake "hey look at me!" question when they vomit up their entire med school application and then punctuate it with some false sense of emergency about a non-issue.

The psychology of it screams insecure.

There there, let us reassure you that you're a great applicant and this isn't a big deal.

I am not sure why some replies are very harsh

I am not seeking attention as some people said

the question is urgent because the drop date is this week so I have to make up my mind before Friday

The reason I worry too much is because I hang out with pre-med students that have 4.0 GPA and most of them are far beyond smart ..so I know what kind of people i'm competing with and I wanna be on the safe side

anyway I thank the people that replied and gave me an advice as well as the people that took the time to comment even if their comment wasn't much of a help

Genetics is raping me at the moment as well...... I'm gonna fight through for now.

I know. It starts easy and smooth then it gets really confusing . Any my professor does two chapters aweek so I'm always playing catch up

are you taking the lab too?

You can always tell it's a fake "hey look at me!" question when they vomit up their entire med school application and then punctuate it with some false sense of emergency about a non-issue.

The psychology of it screams insecure.

There there, let us reassure you that you're a great applicant and this isn't a big deal.

Thank you :)
Now I can get some sleep ;)

oh and thank you for taking the time to analyze my behavior

Thank you :)
Now I can get some sleep ;)

oh and thank you for taking the time to analyze my behavior

You're welcome.

Oh, and was I right, or was I right?

The reason I worry too much is because I hang out with pre-med students that have 4.0 GPA and most of them are far beyond smart ..so I know what kind of people i'm competing with and I wanna be on the safe side

Start hanging out with people you actually are friends with and not people who freak you out.

You're welcome.

Oh, and was I right, or was I right?

Start hanging out with people you actually are friends with and not people who freak you out.

No, you weren't.I was being sarcastic when I said "now I can get some sleep"

haha you're right but most of these students are the ones that have study groups and SI sessions. Therefore, if I wanna do well, I have to be around the kind of people that will motivate me to do so

Dropping a class probably won't hurt unless you make a habit of it. I pass-failed a few classes in college. I personally think P/F is a better option than dropping, if you think you can pass.

Don't worry about other people with 4.0s or 3.9s or 3.5s or 3.2s. Do the best you can do schoolwise and find something INTERESTING to put on your application because your grades are generally not going to be an interesting interview topic.