Urine drug test at U-Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if UMich tested for nicotine in their pre-employment urine drug test.

My friends kept saying that they most likely do but I think they are just saying that because their program (Beaumont) does do that - and it states that very clearly.

I can't find any information in the residency contract, drug screen consent form or anything else that it says this. My logical sense tells me that if something like tobacco or nicotine is going to be tested then they would clearly state that since it is not illegal in any state in the US or federally for that matter.

It clearly says on the drug consent form that any illegal drugs could be tested for. It then adds that marijuana will also give a positive test - The reason they added this as a separate line is because Michigan recently legalized marijuana. This part is really not an issue for me.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I politely ask to avoid any "tobacco is unhealthy and you should stop!" comments. Trust me - I get that. We all have some bad habits. We're all human. I get it.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to decide if your tobacco habit is more important to you than keeping your residency spot...simple as that.

But yes, most programs that test for nicotine and metabolites will say that early, even at the time of the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if UMich tested for nicotine in their pre-employment urine drug test.

My friends kept saying that they most likely do but I think they are just saying that because their program (Beaumont) does do that - and it states that very clearly.

I can't find any information in the residency contract, drug screen consent form or anything else that it says this. My logical sense tells me that if something like tobacco or nicotine is going to be tested then they would clearly state that since it is not illegal in any state in the US or federally for that matter.

It clearly says on the drug consent form that any illegal drugs could be tested for. It then adds that marijuana will also give a positive test - The reason they added this as a separate line is because Michigan recently legalized marijuana. This part is really not an issue for me.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I politely ask to avoid any "tobacco is unhealthy and you should stop!" comments. Trust me - I get that. We all have some bad habits. We're all human. I get it.
Does it say the consequences of failing the test? Hospitals that test for nicotine make you sign a contract usually saying you aren't a smoker and I highly doubt they would make legal drug use a criterion for kicking you out without warning you upfront. Marijuana is different because federal law supersedes state law, and if they want to, federal agents can make marijuana related arrests in states where it's legal, they just usually choose not to.

Does it say the consequences of failing the test? Hospitals that test for nicotine make you sign a contract usually saying you aren't a smoker and I highly doubt they would make legal drug use a criterion for kicking you out without warning you upfront. Marijuana is different because federal law supersedes state law, and if they want to, federal agents can make marijuana related arrests in states where it's legal, they just usually choose not to.

My hospital has the rule that if you are positive for contine, you are barred from hire for 6 months. After that time, you are welcome to apply again. That's ok for someone applying for say, a janitorial job (as long as the job is still available)...not so great for a resident with a designated start date. They tested WAY ahead of time too. For fellowship year, I remember getting an email in February asking me to report to a labcorp site within 5 days for my test.

With that being said, I could see the hospital (for a resident/intern) letting someone start, but making them take tobacco cessation courses or something like that.

My hospital has the rule that if you are positive for contine, you are barred from hire for 6 months. After that time, you are welcome to apply again. That's ok for someone applying for say, a janitorial job (as long as the job is still available)...not so great for a resident with a designated start date. They tested WAY ahead of time too. For fellowship year, I remember getting an email in February asking me to report to a labcorp site within 5 days for my test.

With that being said, I could see the hospital (for a resident/intern) letting someone start, but making them take tobacco cessation courses or something like that.
Well but did they warn you about that in advance or tell you during the recruitment process that smokers are not welcome? What I would be surprised about is if a hospital recruited people and made job offers or matched people and then said after the fact if you are a smoker we rescind this offer. Also in a match process I feel like springing a surprise nicotine ban after match day and then refusing to let trainees start who test positive sounds like a match violation.

Well but did they warn you about that in advance or tell you during the recruitment process that smokers are not welcome? What I would be surprised about is if a hospital recruited people and made job offers or matched people and then said after the fact if you are a smoker we rescind this offer. Also in a match process I feel like springing a surprise nicotine ban after match day and then refusing to let trainees start who test positive sounds like a match violation.
Generally those programs that test for nicotine tell you at the time of the interview so not a surprise.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve never heard of any program banning residents that smoked cigarettes. However, I do know many will charge you a little more for your health insurance.

I can’t imagine it’ll be a big deal if you take the test with nicotine in your system. But maybe you could reach out to the program? You could say you’re a smoker who is currently trying to quit and that you’re worried about the test, or something like that.

I’ve never heard of any program banning residents that smoked cigarettes. However, I do know many will charge you a little more for your health insurance.

I can’t imagine it’ll be a big deal if you take the test with nicotine in your system. But maybe you could reach out to the program? You could say you’re a smoker who is currently trying to quit and that you’re worried about the test, or something like that.

cleveland clinic and case western to name two...they make you aware of their policies at interview time.

Places do have tobacco use policies as a condition of employment and since residents are employees of the hospital they fall under that policy. It's actually pretty common in hospitals these days.

Places do have tobacco use policies as a condition of employment and since residents are employees of the hospital they fall under that policy. It's actually pretty common in hospitals these days.

I’ll take your guys word for it. I’ve heard of no smoking on hospital property policies, and smokers having to pay a health insurance surcharge-just not a blatant no-smoking policy.

I’ll take your guys word for it. I’ve heard of no smoking on hospital property policies, and smokers having to pay a health insurance surcharge-just not a blatant no-smoking policy.

Don’t have to take my word for it.

Times have really changed.

I was a medical student in NYC during the early 1990’s. The hospital had a no smoking policy but at the beginning of the neurosurgery grand rounds the chairman of the department lit up followed by more than half the rest of the department. The conference room was a hotbox.

UM tests for "10 panel + FENT", whatever that means, if I remember correctly (that was what the label said at the testing center).
They didn't tell us what they were testing for and never specifically mentioned anything about nicotine

What about people who use nicotine gun or patches to help them quit?