URM and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No we haven’t! I showed only 2 studies with a very limited scope. You didn’t even provide anything to counter. But this is not going to go anywhere so I’m moving on.
I apologize for my imprecise wording. The corporate “we” ( as in SDN in general) have absolutely been through that before
 
Did you all miss the meaning of URM? It doesn’t automatically = poor, nor should it. We need doctors who look like their patients and understand their struggles to go back and serve their own communities. Health outcomes are better that way. If an URM gets into Harvard because of being URM I don’t have a problem with it and you shouldn’t either. How does that affect you? Some of you are always complaining on the DO forum so you probably didn’t even have a shot at Harvard to begin with lol. I can never understand those who go out of their way to complain about the few URM that get into med school thinking they are taking a seat of a more “deserving” white/Asian student. Med school is not a right, it is a privilege.
replace physician with HVAC repair man or contractor and see how ridiculous it sounds. If you only feel comfortable telling your problems to somebody of your race then I guess you’ll just be not healthy
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we’re referring to the fact that patients can be racist/sexist?

Med school adcoms should not be accommodating that
I understand this line of thought but not everyone views a female patient being more comfortable discussing their health with a female doc as sexist or a Hispanic patient sharing more with a doc that also speaks Spanish as racist.

It’s fine if you disagree with the goal but viewing the push more for minority doctors as “accommodating racism” is misrepresenting people’s reasons for advocating for it.
 
I understand this line of thought but not everyone views a female patient being more comfortable discussing their health with a female doc as sexist or a Hispanic patient sharing more with a doc that also speaks Spanish as racist.

It’s fine if you disagree with the goal but viewing the push more for minority doctors as “accommodating racism” is misrepresenting people’s reasons for advocating for it.
No, it isn’t misrepresentation

And language skills are not the same as race
 
Status
Not open for further replies.