URM Re-applicant Seeking Advice for Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimpleMinds33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! I am planning on reapplying this cycle and I wanted to some advice on my competitiveness for my state schools (Florida) as well as schools within my GPA/MCAT range. For my background, I am a black/African-American undergraduate

For starters, these were the stats and activities I applied with:
GPA: 3.64 cumulative GPA, 3.42 Science GPA,
MCAT: 501
Research: 300 hours, 3 poster presentations
Medical Volunteering: 180 hours over 1.5 years (stopped due to COVID)
Non-Medical Volunteering: 200 hours of tutoring
Shadowing: 50+ hours
Leadership: 1 position
Work experience: ~1700 hours in my family’s business

I got feedback from someone who went through the process, and I was told to improve my GPAs, retake the MCAT, and get more volunteering. I was also told that my Alma Mater had a hard cutoff of a 505 so I figured that my other state schools with higher stats were probably out of reach too. Other than 4 of my state schools, I did not follow through with applying to out of state schools which explains why I didn’t get interviews for this cycle.

Since applying, I’ve done more to improve my app:

GPA now: 3.7 cumulative GPA, 3.57 Science GPA
New MCAT: 506
Non-medical volunteering: 170 hours volunteering at a soup kitchen
I’ve also been working ~15 hours a week in my family’s business, but this isn’t medically related

I plan to apply to about 20 new target schools this cycle, plus all of my state schools, and about 5-8 of the schools I applied to last cycle for about 30-35 schools.

Anyways, given the improvements I’ve made on my application, do I have a shot given the fact that I am a re-applicant? And are the improvements I’ve made-specifically with my MCAT significant enough?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

You need to apply to many more than just 4 schools. I suggest all these:
Florida State
U Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
South Florida Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Emory
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT

Members don't see this ad :)
You would have got in the first time if you’d applied to many schools besides Florida.Keep your heads up.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure who told you to improve your gpa... your stats were fine the first time. Apply to more schools . Best of luck !

Reactions: 1 user