urm stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchanger

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am an urm and just got my mcat scores -- a bit worried as i did not do well in verbal. my scores are 5 - 9 - 8 - T. can anybody provide some stats or guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, is english your first language? If it is not, adcoms may be more willing to overlook your low verbal score. What is your GPA? Sometimes an above average GPA can compensate for low MCATs. I don't think your chances of getting into medical school are impossible with those numbers, but your score would be below the average MCAT scores of urms so you might have trouble getting into a decent school. Talk with your pre-med advisor if your school has one or talk with an admissions advisor at a medical school/dean of minority affairs/diversity promotion.

just to let you know, i qualify as an urm -- i am a native american. last time i looked, i still qualified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what the average stats are for URM's but I will tell you about one URM I met at UCLA. The medical student that gave me a tour of UCLA when I interviewed there also had similar scores to yours the first time she took them. I believe she was Mexican-American and had gotten a 7 (or 8, I can't remember exactly) on the verbal section and was below the national average on the other two sections. Her GPA was also below the average for acceptances.

Your writing sample score is very good. I don't know though if that will make up for your low verbal score. If you can, try to take the exam again. Another thing to keep in mind was that the medical student at UCLA was very well-rounded. She had done a lot of things outside of school for her community. There is more to the picture than just the MCAT scores and GPA. I would consult your advisor and the adm offices for more information.

I think there's a crushingly high likliehood that you are a liar. A "5" on verbal and a "T" on the writing sample? That's the bottom 15% for verbal and the top half percent for writing just in case you failed to do your research. Get lost.

to be more exact, the five would put this person in the 7.8-13.6 percentile, while the T would put them in the 99.3-99.9 percentile. the is a very huge disparity. if these numbers do belong to this person, the sole rareness of such a combination could elicit curiosity and maybe an interview.

...not with a ten-foot pole.

dont be so sure, i know people that got admitted to UTMB in texas with 20 and a 21. it depends what kind of out of classroom experience you have too.

Just wondering, but why are some of you being so patently negative? Assuming this is a sincere post, this person is looking for some advice. Don't let your personal MCAT and admissions hang-ups cloud your responses to people. It's sad to see. If you want to be like this, please go post at the TPR bulletin board (instead of here) - they seem to thrive on it. ;)

sorry for the stupid questions, but what is a URM? Also, while I'm asking questions, what is an ADCOM? Thanks!

mazzy - Do you realize that you are posting on a thread that is almost two months old?

BUmiken12 - URM = Under Represented Minority
ADCOM = ADmissions COMmittee member

Would an Asian-American be considered an URM or are they as prevalent in med schools as any other ethnic group? Just wondering...I'm Asian

Originally posted by BUmiken12:
•Would an Asian-American be considered an URM or are they as prevalent in med schools as any other ethnic group? Just wondering...I'm Asian•

No, an Asian-American would not be considered an URM.

Just out of curiosity...Why do URM's get a break on numbers?...I know lot of URM's with great numbers, why give somea break if there are a lot of them with great numbers? :)

Originally posted by Paulista:
•Just out of curiosity...Why do URM's get a break on numbers?...I know lot of URM's with great numbers, why give somea break if there are a lot of them with great numbers? :)
Statistically, there aren't "enough" with great numbers relatively to the general population. (Let's try not to turn this into another AA debate)