What stats do I need to be competitive for Tufts Internal Medicine Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChroniclerOfSuccess

Reaction score
I have 3 passes so far in Surgery, Radiology, and Internal medicine so I'm understandably nervous about matching into an IM program at an academic institution (Tufts) in a major metropolitan area like Boston. I don't have any publications yet but I have a few in the pipeline so I'm probably looking at maybe 2-5 by the time I apply. I wanted to know what the likelyhood of matching into Tufts IM residency would be if I were to at the bare minimum High pass the rest of my rotations.

Additionally does anybody know where I can find some of the information about residency stats such as average Step 2 scores and number of publications?

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on the rank of your school and the connections you've made. In IM, average students tend to match at or slightly above the level of their home institution. IM has big classes and matching is definitely a little more formulaic compared to some of the smaller specialties. If you're at a mid-tier MD, try to perform at a HP or H level from this point out, make good connections in IM, honor your sub-I, and shoot your shot. If you're a low-tier MD or DO, it may be an uphill battle. If you're at a T50, it's likely within reach even with the P in IM.

The best resource would be an advisor at your school who knows that apps of people who were previously in your situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Really depends on the rank of your school and the connections you've made. In IM, average students tend to match at or slightly above the level of their home institution. IM has big classes and matching is definitely a little more formulaic compared to some of the smaller specialties. If you're at a mid-tier MD, try to perform at a HP or H level from this point out, make good connections in IM, honor your sub-I, and shoot your shot. If you're a low-tier MD or DO, it may be an uphill battle. If you're at a T50, it's likely within reach even with the P in IM.

The best resource would be an advisor at your school who knows that apps of people who were previously in your situation.
Thank you very much! My medical school is ranked 81 in US news and world report. Tufts seems to be ranked 53, but this is just the medical school rank. Is the rank for IM residencies a little different?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably feasible to match an IM program in that tier but matching a specific one is likely difficult without connections

You should be fine, I think IM is only really competitive at the absolute highest levels like MGH, BWH, etc. Of course though any single program is never a guarantee even if you’re qualified

Thank you very much! My medical school is ranked 81 in US news and world report. Tufts seems to be ranked 53, but this is just the medical school rank. Is the rank for IM residencies a little different?
You are asking a med student, not a program director. The rankings and "tiers" for different programs are entirely subjective. On the other end, no one knows how individual programs rank applicants, besides those specific program directors. The majority of advice you will receive here comes from the echo chamber of the hyper-anxious students who become further deluded the longer they spend eternally online.

Work hard for the rest of your rotations and shoot your shot at your target programs when the time comes.

I wouldn’t focus on specific numerical rankings but rather tiers, I’d imagine 53 and 81 are in the same tier